Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Seventy-Five Gallon Setup (Feb 2011)
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Reply to topic   Post new topic
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.08.30(Mon)10:35    Post subject: Seventy-Five Gallon Setup (Feb 2011) Reply with quote

August 27, 2010 - I purchased a used 75 gallon tank from a fish-haver. Very little care was taken of the tank or its inhabitants. He ran a UGF on it, and told me that it was nice, because you only had to clean it out every six months or so. From the state of his siphon, I'm nearly certain that he just did top-offs and not water changes. Poor fish. They feel more like rescues than purchases.

When I got it home and got to the UGF... it was doubtful that he cleaned it even that often. There was so much mulm that it looked (and felt!) like mud. It was actually rather sickening. And it smelled badly. Rolling Eyes

What we brought home with us:
Homemade light fixture:

The stand... There is mold and a ton of dust on the bottom.

It's been beat up, and needs some work to be kept in MY house:

He offered to send home some razor blades with us so we could clean off the lids:

The tank itself, with his background and gravel, and about a thousand chords from powerheads:

The rim of the tank:

Free decor!

I'm not certain on the ID of any of these rocks. He claimed the second rock was petrified wood, but it doesn't look like any petrified wood I've ever seen. I guessing slate or something. I'll identify them later, I suppose. Not sure I'll use any of them.

Last edited by rales12 on 2011.02.16(Wed)14:21; edited 8 times in total
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.08.30(Mon)10:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

August 28-29, 2010:
The cleanup took all weekend.

Taking out the gravel:

Some things I found in the gravel; fish bones, a nickel, a twistie-tie (I think), a hollow metal stick, a strange metal cappy thingy, two of those rings you attach keyrings to and about half of a fish skeleton:

and clam shells:

and this strange rock:

He had marbles mixed in with the gravel. A lot of them:

One half of the rim... took me well over an hour to scrub this clean, using only warm water and a toothbrush:

My sister came over and helped with the other half... Went faster. And we used a diluted vinegar mixture. Looks so much better!

Soaked the lids in vinegar for about half an hour, to get the crud off. They required very little scrubbing after that! Rinsed thoroughly and drying on the deck, here:

A clean tank, ready for substrate, decorations, et cetra:

My husband is not a big fan of the stand or the light fixture, so I'm designing a new stand and he's going to help me build it this coming weekend. Should be ready by the weekend after that. We'll be making it out of oak, and I think I'll be adding some shelving on the inside to add storage space. Surge protectors will be mounted inside the stand, and I should be able to keep all fish related stuff under there!
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.08.30(Mon)10:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My husband is not a big fan of the stand or the light fixture, so I'm designing a new stand and he's going to help me build it this coming weekend.

Shouldn't it be the other way around?

Nice job on cleaning it! Poor fish bones....
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.08.30(Mon)11:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a lot of very strange things to find in a tank...good job cleaning it though, looks new.
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.08.30(Mon)12:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caton wrote:
Quote:
My husband is not a big fan of the stand or the light fixture, so I'm designing a new stand and he's going to help me build it this coming weekend.

Shouldn't it be the other way around?

LOL! It does seem a bit backwards, huh? Wink

There used to be an Oscar in the tank... so I rather suspect the bones are from a feeder goldfish or something. But even so... >_<

I am planning on putting a black background on... Will probably pick it up tomorrow.

Has anybody used the Fluval U4 Underwater Filter? I am thinking of getting that as my primary filter.
UncleWillie
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.08.30(Mon)23:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just purchased a used 75 also that was disgusting and the stand was even worse. While I hate that I have to spend a day cleaning it before setting it up, your post has made me feel a lot better knowing that if you are determined, you can make your new used tank look shiny and new! Now I just have to get motivated! Congrats on the new tank.
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.08.31(Tue)2:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleWillie wrote:
I just purchased a used 75 also that was disgusting and the stand was even worse. While I hate that I have to spend a day cleaning it before setting it up, your post has made me feel a lot better knowing that if you are determined, you can make your new used tank look shiny and new! Now I just have to get motivated! Congrats on the new tank.

Thanks!

Once I got over the smell... It was actually kind of fun. Smile My sister came over to help (I can't pick up the tank by myself, after all! And my husband only gives opinions, not a hand haha)... so that made it go faster. At least there's someone to chat with while scrubbing at the crud rather than doing it in silence. Smile

And you know... its kind of rewarding to get a tank that looked like... that... and make the glass clear again and make it look almost new. Sure, its a day (or two Smile) wasted... but I don't mind doing it. My husband told me when we got it home that we'll just buy new from now on, because its so dirty. Rolling Eyes I think I proved to him that spending 1/4 as much on a used tank is worth the cleanup.

And... well. I'm a stay at home mom, so I have a load of time that I can spend on my tanks. I suppose not everybody has that luxury. Smile
FishFlake
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.09.01(Wed)7:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
August 27, 2010 - I purchased a used 75 gallon tank from a fish-haver.

This made me laugh, thanks. Aquahobby.com humor.
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.09.01(Wed)13:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

FishFlake wrote:
Quote:
August 27, 2010 - I purchased a used 75 gallon tank from a fish-haver.

This made me laugh, thanks. Aquahobby.com humor.

Wink

I was delighted to learn that one of my brother's friends keeps fish. I rehomed the original inhabitants of this tank with him, and he acclimated them properly and everything. I felt good about giving him the fish... better than dropping them off at the LFS, especially.
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.09.05(Sun)9:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put the background on... but the back of the tank is currently facing forward (so I could attach it Wink) and we haven't turned it yet. I'm waiting for my camera to charge... I'll post a pic of it soon!

I also just won two eBay auctions for Fluval U4 Internal filters, at least one of which should arrive sometime this week. I'll probably start cycling it on in a plastic bin, because I imagine it'll be a couple more weeks before I can get water in the tank. Smile I really hope two filters are enough... Rolling Eyes

I'm probably going to be buying the sand (should 100lbs be more than enough?) for the tank tomorrow when we go to Home Depot to get wood for the stand. Then all I'll need is for my plants to arrive, and maybe to find some more rocks, and then this will be more of a journal! Wink
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to: