Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Seventy-Five Gallon Setup (Feb 2011)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.09.16(Thu)3:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm scratching the African tank.

Come on! We could have the same tanks because I am getting a african 75g soon...

I think it looks good, but you will need more hardscape because it acts like the "bones" to a scape. It makes it stay the way you want it longer. If you don't it will always be changing to the way you don't want it. Either some more driftwood or rocks.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.09.16(Thu)4:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops! I forgot to add some of the rocks that I have to the picture. I'll have to play with them on the table to see how they'll stand before I decide where to put them.

I also have a ton of the rocks that are about half the size of your fist, which I'll probably be including in there somewhere, just not sure where yet.
Fern
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.09.16(Thu)12:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing This tank has changed so much before it has even begun Laughing

As an aside fizzing from the vinegar test is what you want for African cichlids, I have limestone in my African tanks.
VallisneriaMan
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.09.17(Fri)9:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job the tank looks amazing!

I'm a geology student at university of north texas, and the first rock you have posted looks like limestone, if it is limestone it wouldnt be good to have in an aquarium because its calcite which can break down in the water and hurt the fish. The other rocks I don't think I would be able to identify them without doing certain physical tests. What is really interesting though is the reddish crystal that you have picture I'm not quite sure what it is. The flat faces are created naturally though, pretty cool stuff.
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.09.17(Fri)12:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

I was looking online... and the first rock actually seems to be granite, according to this site. Its very possible that I'm wrong, though... Laughing I am nowhere near qualified as a geologist. Smile
I can take some more pictures of it and post them if you want a closer look, though!

The second rock is slate (I'm almost certain) and the last two... I'm not sure what they are. They have this calcium-like build up on one side of them, and that's what fizzes. Confused

And since I'm posting anyway -- Got two bags of "Play Sand" at The Home Depot today... $6.89 total. Sweet Smile I think it'll be enough... Will be spending the rest of the weekend rinsing, and rinsing... and rinsing... and rinsing..........

Does anybody have a fast(er) way to rinse sand?
ak dylpickles
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.09.17(Fri)15:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

washing machine. lol just kidding Very Happy
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.09.18(Sat)2:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Husband. would. kill. me. Laughing Guess I'll just go with the bucket and hose method. I was reading last night that play sand can be messier than some sand... so I guess I'll just have to rinse it really well.

Its stinking cold out today, too. Mad But if I put it off, it'll start snowing and then I'll never get it done!
Fern
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.09.18(Sat)5:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dump the water out of the bucket every time it fills, it seems to get it done a little quicker that way.
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.09.18(Sat)6:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started by just letting it run in the bucket until it seemed clear, but then I realized its a lot faster (or at least, less boring) to dump the bucket once it fills. I also used two buckets... so one would be filling while I was dumping the other.

And now my back, hips, legs, and feet hurt... and I didn't get a chance to read some of the book I was hoping to read during my son's nap... but at least the sand is rinsed!! Laughing Now I just need to get the stand done so that I can put it all together.

The second filter arrived today, as well.

Is there any ill effects on the plants if they are in a tank while doing a fishless cycle on it? I'm guessing not, but I want to be sure.
katienaha
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.09.19(Sun)7:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

playsand you get here is terribly dirty....yucky job
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to: