Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Seventy-Five Gallon Setup (Feb 2011)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Reply to topic   Post new topic
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.09.14(Tue)3:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really thinking about it, actually. I just don't know where I can get some rock (for caves) for cheap, and then I'm a little intimidated by the stocking. I also don't know if I can successfully plant an african rift tank (unless somebody has some tips?) because I have two amazon swords that are going to get waaay too large for my little six gallon Wink
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.09.14(Tue)4:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give them to me? Laughing

Rock is the easy part, just go out find some rocks that you think will look nice and stack them. Just spray them down with a hose and pour vinegar on them and you will be fine. Or you get pay to get some...

For a african rift tank you can plant vals, anubias, java moss and java fern really. I don't know how the crypts would do. Just a question but did you find anything in the bleach solution? I got out as much duckweed as possible...
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.09.14(Tue)5:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are very few rocks around here that are suitable for an aquarium... Which is frustrating. I can travel an hour east or west of here and probably find some, but having a 1 year old severely limits where I can go with just him. (Can't exactly go searching for driftwood/rocks in the hills or mountains with him; he'd jump in and hurt/drown himself. >_<) My husband is a PITA about getting OFF his... bum... and isn't going to be much help there. So I'm probably going to have to buy some (found some on ebay, actually).

Or I could make a DIY cavey background thing, if there's a way to do it without styrofoam (can't stand touching the stuff). I'll have to do some looking into that, I think.

And the only thing I found in the plants was a couple of the little worms that you posted about in the Diseases section (planaria, you said?). I don't mind if there's some duckweed... I'll just throw it in the 46gal for the gouramis. Smile I didn't even see any MTS, and still haven't, and they've been sitting in that bucket (rinsed of bleach and some old tank water, of course) for a couple of days now.

Looking at the crypts... I think they'd go nicely in the six gallon anyway, so that may be where I put them. Do you suppose water sprite grows fast enough to keep up with any cichlid munching?

The more I think about it, the more I want the african tank. Rolling Eyes Thanks Caton - you riled up my indecision LOL! And here I thought I was set. The African's will probably be easier to stock than finding a blue acara or pearl eartheater around here, though.
Cinder
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.09.14(Tue)8:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a couple comments:

1) Great job with the tank - can't wait to see it up and running.
2) I've had Angels with Tiger Barbs and it doesn't usually go well. The Barbs are so fin nippy. I did find it was lessoned a lot by having a large number of Barbs (15 or more). Sounds like you may not even go that direction now but just for info.
3) I've picked up rocks many times for my tanks. I always boil them for about 20 minutes and then let them dry in the sun. I've never had any issues putting them in the tank after that but it may depend on where you find them also.

Good luck ---- have fun.
monstrosity
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.09.14(Tue)12:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you find rocks, do not just hose them down. Hose them down. Boil some water, take it off stove, then put the rocks in (do not put them in while it is still boiling, unless you want rocks expoloding in your kitchen). Then, scrub the rocks with bleach. Rinse them off, then soak them in water with 5x the normal amount of dechlorinator in them. Put some vinegar on them. If the vinegar fisses, they are not safe for your aquarium.

29 G
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.09.14(Tue)13:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocks explode? I boiled rocks for like 15mins and they were fine. But you really don't need to boil them. Get all the dirt off and you will be fine.

The worm's are planaria. Not bad, kinda cool looking if you stick it under a microscope.
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.09.14(Tue)13:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably not explode like a bomb, but can certainly crack which is very annoying if you have the perfect piece.

Fizzing doesn't necessarily mean bad, especially for an African tank - just means it will leach and make the water hard. I'd stay away from anything metallic though.
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.09.14(Tue)13:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

monstrosity wrote:
If you find rocks, do not just hose them down. Hose them down. Boil some water, take it off stove, then put the rocks in (do not put them in while it is still boiling, unless you want rocks expoloding in your kitchen). Then, scrub the rocks with bleach. Rinse them off, then soak them in water with 5x the normal amount of dechlorinator in them. Put some vinegar on them. If the vinegar fisses, they are not safe for your aquarium.

I think I'd do the vinegar test first, or that seems like an awful lot of cleaning/work for a rock that you may not even be able to use!

I like to identify what kind of rock it is, too... makes it easier.
monstrosity
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.09.15(Wed)12:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fern said that there is always the possibility that they can explode while boiling. I also boiled mine before I knew that. Lol, I'm not taking my chances! That could be very deadly!

29 G
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.09.16(Thu)3:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm scratching the African tank. Laughing I'm leaning towards a nicely planted tank with not as much hardscape.

I did finally find a piece of driftwood that I like, and I just won the bid on it yesterday. Hopefully it'll be here next week or so, but I have no idea how long it'll take to get it to sink. Rolling Eyes

I put some of the filter cartridges in my existing tank this morning to get started on seeding them... Really hoping that'll cut the cycle time down considerably. Smile It'll be nice to not have to wait six weeks after I get the tank running to put fishies in!

And now I'm with this as a stocking list:
Either 1x b/n or 5x ottos
10x Tiger barbs (maybe 15?)
1x Nicaraguan cichlid (my reading said these guys are about the same level of aggression as blue acaras; is this true?)
3x Pictus catfish (Is 3 enough to keep them happy as babies and as adults?)

The pictus cats would add more activity to the bottom of the tank than a single syno... and if I get them, I think I would return the syno, or leave him in the 46g. Unless anybody thinks it would be fine for him to be in the tank with pictuses... would they get along? Is there enough bottom room for the 4 of them?

And, I know my artist's hand is impressive, but this is kind of how I'm thinking of 'scaping:

The big black boxes are filters, the skinnier ones are heaters, the brown squiggle is close to what the wood is supposed to look like, the big 'plant' behind that represents 1x Amazon sword (where would you put the second one?). The plant on the wood is java fern, the purple sticks are c. wendtii, and the light green behind that is water sprite. I bought a couple other plants, but I can't remember what they are off the top of my head. XD

What would you change?
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to: