Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Seventy-Five Gallon Setup (Feb 2011)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Reply to topic   Post new topic
KhiaraFish
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.11.23(Tue)14:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard good things about rootmedic and also about osmocote, I plan on trying those out soon, I have 2 of my current root tabs left, each one only lasts about a month. . .

My fish mugged me and stole my wallet!
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.11.23(Tue)18:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

KhiaraFish wrote:
I've heard good things about rootmedic and also about osmocote, I plan on trying those out soon, I have 2 of my current root tabs left, each one only lasts about a month. . .

Root medic tabs last like six months! I am trading a bunch of worms for a ton of capsules, really Justiin is so generous with what he sells. It not really a bussiness but more like a hobby to him it seems. I highly reccomend him Very Happy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.11.23(Tue)18:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are worried about the light, I found a light that gets good reveiws and is cheap, this is the one I am going to get for my 75g:
http://www.aquatraders.com/Odyssea-48in-4x54W-T5-HO-Light-Fixture-Extendable-p/52305.htm

I guess the previous version of this was the worse though...like the ballast failing and burning down a house or somthing Rolling Eyes ...but you know, they fixed it...
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.11.23(Tue)19:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Seachem tabs are alright, they're just lacking on macronutrients. They supply everything else quite well though. I'd probably try RootMedic or similar if they were available, but they aren't so I use Osmocote.

Excel is recommended if you do regular water changes, but not absolutely necessary.

Wouldn't bother with anything else - trying too many things at once gets to be a headache.
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.11.23(Tue)20:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rootmedic, hm? I'll look into them.

I'm not worried about my light at all. Very Happy Thanks, though.

Is osmocote the stuff you buy at Home Depot and make into your own tabs? I don't mind doing a little DIY (actually, I rather enjoy it)... and if its generally pretty cheap, I think that's the way I'll go.

About water changes... I haven't done one yet, besides the big emptying of the tank to move it. I really want to try the low-maintenance with few water changes thing that you've mentioned before, unissuh. Its only been a couple of weeks with fish in it, but I'm already feeling like I need to do one... I get all nervous thinking about trying this out. Laughing Will adding duckweed or some other floating plant help any in the decreased need for water changes? I want this tank to be as low maintenance as possible. I'm really hoping my stocking plan is light enough to allow for that. Very Happy
KhiaraFish
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.11.23(Tue)20:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]f you are worried about the light, I found a light that gets good reveiws and is cheap, this is the one I am going to get for my 75g:
http://www.aquatraders.com/Odyssea-48in-4x54W-T5-HO-Light-Fixture-Extendable-p/52305.htm

I guess the previous version of this was the worse though...like the ballast failing and burning down a house or somthing Rolling Eyes ...but you know, they fixed it...[/quote]

I got one of those odyssea lights, a 36". I really like it, but beware, they get really hot, but are so high above the tank it doesn't matter. Also, the company doesn't ship very quickly, but overall I love the light, it is doing great things for my plants.

My fish mugged me and stole my wallet!
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.11.24(Wed)0:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

KhiaraFish wrote:
I got one of those odyssea lights, a 36". I really like it, but beware, they get really hot, but are so high above the tank it doesn't matter. Also, the company doesn't ship very quickly, but overall I love the light, it is doing great things for my plants.

Really, thats cool. Even more reason for me to buy one. Not worried about heat. I would say it would keep the cats off (if it is really really hot) but they might find it warm and comforting but I am also hanging the light. I might get some computer fans on it though just in case.
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.11.24(Wed)2:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

rales12 wrote:
Is osmocote the stuff you buy at Home Depot and make into your own tabs? I don't mind doing a little DIY (actually, I rather enjoy it)... and if its generally pretty cheap, I think that's the way I'll go.

Yeah - typically embed it into a little clay ball but not sure how well this works with sand as if stirred up afterwards, you'll get a nice cloud of dust. May be better to embed within ice cubes and push to the bottom for you, but needs to be somewhere that it won't be dug up (e.g. under a big rock).

rales12 wrote:
I really want to try the low-maintenance with few water changes thing that you've mentioned before, unissuh. Its only been a couple of weeks with fish in it, but I'm already feeling like I need to do one... I get all nervous thinking about trying this out. Laughing Will adding duckweed or some other floating plant help any in the decreased need for water changes? I want this tank to be as low maintenance as possible. I'm really hoping my stocking plan is light enough to allow for that. Very Happy

Stocking plan should be OK for a classic low tech, amount of plants that you have right now is not however, so I'd stick with waterchanges for now. If you have a quick look at my bookshelf display tank, thats about the absolute minimal amount I'd plant before going low tech, needs to be reasonably moderate planting at least. Nitrate needs to stay low without waterchanges, if it keeps rising means you have too few plants vs fish.

Floating plants will help in the short run & are more effective than submerged plants at sucking up nutrients but be careful because duckweed etc are pretty hard to get rid of later down the line. You basically just need to really bulk up on plant mass before taking this route.
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.11.24(Wed)11:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

unissuh wrote:
Yeah - typically embed it into a little clay ball but not sure how well this works with sand as if stirred up afterwards, you'll get a nice cloud of dust. May be better to embed within ice cubes and push to the bottom for you, but needs to be somewhere that it won't be dug up (e.g. under a big rock).

I'll try to go get some in the next week or so, then, and give it a shot! And some ice cube trays. What section would osmocote be located in? (You should have seen me searching every aisle for play sand...)

unissuh wrote:
Stocking plan should be OK for a classic low tech, amount of plants that you have right now is not however, so I'd stick with waterchanges for now. If you have a quick look at my bookshelf display tank, thats about the absolute minimal amount I'd plant before going low tech, needs to be reasonably moderate planting at least. Nitrate needs to stay low without waterchanges, if it keeps rising means you have too few plants vs fish.

This is very helpful! I forget that just because I have a couple plants in there doesn't really mean that I have a planted tank! I'm hoping that getting some root tabs in under the plants will help a lot with their growth and allow me to start some new plantlets. I imagine it'll be a while before this tank counts as moderately planted, though. Smile

And I'm guessing that, until I can get to where I'm not doing regular water changes, I should probably be dosing Excel?

unissuh wrote:
Floating plants will help in the short run & are more effective than submerged plants at sucking up nutrients but be careful because duckweed etc are pretty hard to get rid of later down the line. You basically just need to really bulk up on plant mass before taking this route.

So I should make sure that I can't achieve low nitrates with the underwater plants before I make the decision to get the floating kind? That makes sense.
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.11.25(Thu)5:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure where the Osmocote is - is there a regular mulch/fertilizer/soils section for plants? It'll probably be there as it's a terrestrial fertilizer.

Yep, will probably be a long while before your current plants grow out enough. Getting some more fast growing stems would speed it up a lot if you want, ditto with floaters.

The Excel will help prevent algae outbreaks - particularly BBA IME, this seems to be associated with water changes in low tech tanks & probably has to do with flunctuation in CO2.

Have to make sure your nitrate stays low by itself, yes. It's not the only thing that builds up or gets depleted but it's the most obvious one and a good starting point. The rest should be OK with a few waterchanges every few months.
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to: