Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Bookshelf display tanks (1/4)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Reply to topic   Post new topic
KhiaraFish
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.11.27(Sat)12:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks awesome, I love your driftwood!

My fish mugged me and stole my wallet!
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.11.28(Sun)0:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jealous. Mr. Green
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.11.28(Sun)1:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsuereth wrote:
Wow... That tank is set up perfectly for those chocolate gouramis! I heard they were somewhat difficult to keep. Did you post your parameters/maintenance for the tank?

I'm not so convinced they are as sensitive as people make them out to be. I do hear that they're not wild caught now though, so that might explain part of it. Quite a few people here keeping them in planted communities of late with apparently no problems.

Haven't really got into the routine on this tank yet but it'll probably just be a bucket change a week with tapwater + a few drops of Prime for now, about 15%. Current parameters sit on pH 6.6, 1.5 dGH, 2 dKH, NO3 5 ppm but will probably level out to be closer to my tapwater (pH 7.0, 1.5 dGH, 0.5 dKH, NO3 0 ppm) with a few changes. Considering using 50/50 tap/rain water to drop the pH a little more but since I live quite close in to the city I'm not sure it's worth the risk of any pollution.
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.01.14(Fri)5:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update for this month, had some issues with tapwater going funny, but everything is running smoothly again after switching to rainwater.

Microdevario tank:

Cyperus helferi growing a bit too tall...need to cut the leaves or get rid of the bigger plants.

Fry tank 1 (tiny fry <1 week old):

Fry closer up, 2mm in length!

Fry tank 2 (older fry):

Chocolate gourami tank (not much different, couple of new leaves only):

New year project - building T5HE light with some decent reflectors:

About half way through so far.
jsuereth
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.01.14(Fri)7:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I really like how you've done the microdevario tank. Do you run sponge filters on all these tanks?

I put sponge pre-filters on my HOBs after picking up my shrimp and I've been really happy with the filtration, but the sponge tends to 'clog' quickly limiting flow. With the size sponge I see on your tanks, does this happen often or is it not as much of a problem with a staight-up sponge filter?
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.01.14(Fri)7:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you like it. Very Happy

There are classic sponge filters on the fry tanks, they don't seem to clog very fast at all. They're actually the smallest size sponge filters I could find (both are the same size, just different perspective), the tanks are just not very big at all. I think I've rinsed 'em out twice in about 4 months. I do a 50% change and vac almost every day in these tanks due to size - perhaps this has to do with the low amount of "crap".

Theres a Fluval Edge sponge prefilter tacked onto my AC70 intake in the Microdevario tank (I think theres a picture earlier on in this thread), this gets clogged a bit faster. To be honest I'm a bit lazy about cleaning this, the filter is way oversized for the tank and has a high enough flow rate that a partially clogged sponge brings it back down to "normal". If I ran the filter without the sponge or flow control it'd do something like ~25-30x tank volume an hour, think whirlpool. Laughing I like having the media capacity though.
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.01.14(Fri)23:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

The microdevario tank is looking awesome, unissuh!

The lights you have on it... are they just normal desk lamps? I want to do something different for my little tank and am looking for some inspiration. Wink
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.01.14(Fri)23:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're clip on lamps, similar to desk lamps I guess. Unfortunately I don't think the company has a catalog online - they're called Mort Bay and the lamp model is called "ecoclip".

Desklamps do work and I have used them before, just make sure you swap out the bulbs for compact fluorescent lamps of an appropriate wattage if they don't already have 'em as I think these work the best. Can also find these in much more attractive styles than lights manufactured for aquarium use...
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.04.01(Fri)5:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took a few pictures of a few tanks today:

Narrow leaf java is growing a bit too big now, might have to remove it. Not sure whats changed but its suddenly sprouting 35 cm+ leaves.

Not much change here, can't seem to convince the chocs to be less shy.

New acquisitions; in my quarantine bucket currently. Hopefully should get along with the chocs, otherwise have to figure something else out.

Desk tank, broad-leaf Helanthium doesn't seem to be as low light tolerant as my narrow-leaf one but the rest is going well.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.04.01(Fri)20:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valients don't get along with chocolates Crying or Very sad
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to: