Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Synodontis species I.D.
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates  Reply to topic   Post new topic
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.08.14(Sat)16:04    Post subject: Synodontis species I.D. Reply with quote

I purchased this little guy at the LFS the other day:

I know he's a synodontis species of some kind, but the LFS owner wasn't able to give me a positive I.D. and said he think its a hybrid. He also told me he would be happiest as a single catfish and not as a group, and that he won't get any larger than 7-8" and definitely won't outgrow a 46 gallon tank. Up to this point, I've been able to trust this store's information, so I am hoping that he was right.

Apparently there are hundreds of synodontis species, so I've been looking at pictures of the more common ones to try to identify him... more for the sake of his potential size than anything else. If he is going to get too large then I want to return him now instead of stunting him on accident. He is currently about 1-1.5" long.

I really apologize for the photo quality; I know its not going to make identifying him any easier. He's been pretty shy since I brought him home and hides out in a hollow rock where I can't see him at all. He did venture out a little bit last night and today, but even then is very careful to stay covered, and it is very difficult to get a decent shot of him. So the pics are a bit grainy. I'll keep trying for a better shot, but I hope these are at least a starting point.

He has two black barbel whiskers and then the ones under his chin (do fish have 'chins'?) are white. He has a black stripe running up his dorsal fin, but the rest of it is spotted, and his tail fin is spotted too. His body is a light silvery grey and the spots are black. Really, he's quite cute... Laughing He also seems to be pretty peaceful... I've seen him and the bristlenose CO2-existing peacefully in the hollow rock.

Possibly a s. ocellifer or s. multipunctatus? And this site says that the black dorsal spine but spotted fin points towards it being a hybrid.

Two face shots (with bad lighting Sad):

invertmaniac
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.08.15(Sun)5:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

He looks like a teeny version of the Multipunctatus we have, but I'm not sure. Ours is tan/brown with blackish/brown spots and it's hard to tell exact coloration by your pictures.
Fern
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.08.15(Sun)12:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly a s. ocellifer or s. multipunctatus?
That was the hybrid combo I was going to suggest. That combo seems pretty common in my area and he resembles them a lot.
I have 2 ocellifers and they are happy spunky fish when they are out and mine have grown fast! They were a rescue with no fins at all and within 2 months they have grown from 2" to 5"
The ocellifers have less spots and are a bit darker but the fin size and spotting match.
They love blood worms for a treat!
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.08.15(Sun)13:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

invertmaniac wrote:
He looks like a teeny version of the Multipunctatus we have, but I'm not sure. Ours is tan/brown with blackish/brown spots and it's hard to tell exact coloration by your pictures.

His coloration is very similar to a pictus catfish, actually. I thought that's what he was when I glanced at him the first time in the store. He's obviously not, but the base silvery color is almost identical to that of a pictus.

Fern wrote:
That was the hybrid combo I was going to suggest. That combo seems pretty common in my area and he resembles them a lot.
I have 2 ocellifers and they are happy spunky fish when they are out and mine have grown fast! They were a rescue with no fins at all and within 2 months they have grown from 2" to 5"
The ocellifers have less spots and are a bit darker but the fin size and spotting match.
They love blood worms for a treat!

S/he is definitely a spunk when out and about! Since adding him to the tank, I've been hearing these wild splashes during the evenings, and when I've snuck over to investigate who's doing it, its the catfish at the top of the tank and everybody else is sleeping. Laughing And he's so CUTE! Very possibly my favorite fish so far.

Should he be OK to stay in the 46 gallon tank, or should I plan to move him to the larger tank my husband promised to buy me for Christmas? (Laughing) And will he be happy as a loner?

Mmmm... blood worms! I'll pick some up tomorrow for him.
Fern
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.08.17(Tue)1:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

should be OK as a loner, mine aren't around each other too much, they each have their separate rock to hide under and only socialize a little bit while out.
I would plan on him going to the larger tank when you get it, with a mix like that you really don't know how big he really will get.

mine eat; new life spectrum pellets, hikari sinking carnivore wafers, shrimp pellets, frozen brine, bloodworms and mysis and they go nuts for live black worms! I don't specifically feed them every day more like every other day, they have no problem coming out and sucking up leftover flakes during feeding time. I haven't seen them turn down any type of food yet!
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.08.17(Tue)3:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's been far more active the last couple of days/evenings... He must have just needed a couple of days to get comfortable in his new home.

I'll plan the bigger tank (either a 72 gal or a 125 gal, not sure which yet) as his new home when I get it and get it cycled, then. Looks like both the suspected parent species get around 8", so if he gets that big as well, I can only imagine he'll appreciate the extra swimming space.
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: