Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Neon Rainbowfish Breeding
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.08.13(Fri)12:10    Post subject: Neon Rainbowfish Breeding Reply with quote

My male neon dwarf rainbow has spent most of the last two days displaying and flashing at his lady friend. Watching them has made me want to try spawning them. I am going to start doing some research as soon as I post this - but I was wondering if anybody here has any tips for spawning this particular species, or any tips about spawning fish in general. The only baby fish I've had so far are baby guppies, and I hardly think those count. Wink

So - assume I know nothing about spawning fish and I'll gladly and happily take any advice anybody has!

Thanks in advance! Cool
keithkyli
Members

PostPosted: 2010.08.13(Fri)21:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not done any purposed breeding, but I would say...

"If the fish can spawn in your main aquarium, then you've solved Question 1."

Maybe set up a breeding tank which has everything similar to your main tank, but with only the rainbowfish in it. Have some plants for the eggs and fry to hide. The eggs sink and it doesn't seem the parents will eat the eggs right away. Then it's the problem of feeding the fry which I haven't got any experience.

From my experience, as soon as they start the first chasing and spawning, they would do it again within 2 weeks, or I'd say it's related to water change. And they would pay no attention to external stimuli during the frenzy. Mine kept on spawning even with a tiger barb following them like a shark!

There's a site that I read as frequently as AoA. Worth a read with lots of other information.
http://aqualandpetsplus.com/Minnows,%20Dwarf%20Neon%20Rainbowfish.htm

I wish you success! If you can do it, please do post some pics of the fry. Wink

BTW, how long have you kept them? Mine reached sexual maturity at about 9-10 months.
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.08.14(Sat)2:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're sure the eggs sink? From all the reading I did last night, I was absolutely unsure. Half of the sites said Praecox rainbows are egg scatterers and the other half said they like to lay their eggs in floating plants. So I tossed a couple of fake plants into my community tank and didn't anchor them, and the two rainbows have been dancing around underneath them almost all morning. I don't see any eggs...but I don't know how hard the eggs are to distinguish from bubbles, either. Wink

I'll probably set them up in a ten or twenty gallon breeder... whichever I can find first. I'm going to purchase a couple of sponge filters and start running them in my community tank to seed them, so that they're ready to put in a breeder tank ASAP. There I think I'll start conditioning them with food. (What kinds of food do you use for this?)

Hahaha... I frequent that site too! Smile Seems like a lot of good info on there.

I bought these guys about three months ago, I think, but they were fully grown when I got them. So I don't know if they are sexually mature... I suppose the best way to tell if they are or not is if I end up with any eggs. Smile

If/when I manage to get them to spawn and then succeed in hatching the little guys, I'll definitely try to get some pictures up! Smile
keithkyli
Members

PostPosted: 2010.08.14(Sat)14:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't condition them with anything special, I just fed the whole tank with ordinary flake food, as my mom enforces a "no live food" policy. I didn't expect to see them spawning, but then I did see it, three times! Razz You can imagine how surprised I was. Perhaps that's why they only got a few eggs coming out each time, of course I have to count also the stress in a crowded tank.

I observed my rainbowfish spawn at a corner of the tank, about one inch above the substrate. I have no floating plants. The few eggs that I saw sank...I am sure my Corys got a share Laughing. Maybe that's also the result of stress from other fish. They may do it more naturally if they are alone. I've termed my rainbows "blue-blood sexaholics"...no big deal to get them spawn, but quality is another issue.

I think what you've read are not contradictory. The eggs of egg scatterers do sink, it's just that the parent release the eggs above the bottom. Perhaps they would lay in the floating plants if given the opportunity, and let the plants secure the eggs. I hope there's someone out here who can share more experience.

I've lost my rainbows, but now I have my zebra danios spawning every few days. My dad saw it 3 times but I didn't. I only saw one wandering fry at the same time my angelfish saw it. <Suck><Crack><Yummy> Shocked
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.08.14(Sat)15:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is helpful to know, keithkyli. I was just reading that rainbows will use a wad of java moss as a spawning site, so I think I'll purchase some of that and use it... or I read you can make a spawning mop thingy out of yarn and they'll use that, too.

It'll probably be at least a month before I've got everything together enough to attempt a spawning, so I've got some time to get it all together. Smile Fry need to be fed microscopic foods, so I should probably start culturing some. I need to put a sponge filter in my tank to seed it, and I'll start feeding them some frozen foods to fatten her up a bit (apparently you can tell when the female has eggs. Mine looks as thin and sleek as ever.)

They say the spawning them is the easy part... raising the fry can be a bit more difficult. Smile

keithkyli wrote:
I've lost my rainbows, but now I have my zebra danios spawning every few days. My dad saw it 3 times but I didn't. I only saw one wandering fry at the same time my angelfish saw it. <Suck><Crack><Yummy> Shocked

Laughing Laughing The first time my guppy had babies, I got SO excited about seeing the tiny little guys swimming around in there. I was staring carefully at a fry, admiring how incredibly tiny it was, and my male rainbow comes up behind it and gobbles it right up. Laughing What a short life... but I'm pretty sure the rainbow enjoyed the snack (and I'm sure he's enjoyed many, many guppy fry snacks since then!)
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.08.14(Sat)15:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first got my platies I was so happy when they gave birth, then by the time I was ready to sell them, I was hoping they would breed. Hope your guys (and gals) have good luck spawning your fish.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: