Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Vaccines/biology/other interesting medical related topics
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Reply to topic   Post new topic
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.08.15(Sun)13:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fern wrote:
I fully agree! Kids grow up much healthier if there is some dirt in their diet! When kids spent the day time out playing in the woods and getting filthy there were less health issues!

Laughing So I watched an episode of House that had a "adult movie star" guy who turned out to have an autoimmune disease of some kind, and one of the characters said that the rates of autoimmune diseases in third world countries are nearly non existent because the parents don't sanitize anything and everything that may have thought about touching dirt. I was either still pregnant with my son or had just had him when I watched that episode, so I fully attribute my reasons for doing it to a T.V. show. Laughing Rolling Eyes I mean, have you SEEN some of the things they tell you that you "need" for a baby? At the very top of the list, beneath diapers, are these little machines that you put toys, bottle nipples, pacifiers, and anything else that might go in your child's mouth into and then you steam them so that there's nothing "bad" to go into your kid's mouth. My husband bought one... and it's still in the box in the back of a closet somewhere. >.>
Don't get me wrong - you wouldn't look in my house and think its dirty, and its not like I stir some mud into his cereal in the mornings or anything... but I'll be interested to see how often he gets sick when he's growing up. My guess? Not very. I only recall having the 'flu three or four times growing up, and I am hoping its about the same for my kids! Maybe even less than that, with the flu shot.
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.08.15(Sun)14:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen that episode! For not getting sick, I would recommend eating mostly raw, say...80% and all organic foods. Of course I am just a kid with a mother that is very healthy and makes most healthy people look sick and the really sick people look....uh...yeah you get the picture.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.08.15(Sun)15:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fern wrote:
Both of my kids are mildly allergic to mosquito bites, I don't use bug spray on them the more they get bit the better their immune system will handle it the next time! I do have jugs of calamine on hand though

Funny how you say that Fern - I must be an anomoly of nature.
As a kid (or any warm blooded creature) you get mosquito bites.. no big deal. Yeah, they itch.. but whatever.

When I was a kid (7 or so) I got bit many many times around my face and woke up with half my face swollen up. My parents laughed, gave me Benadryl and I carried on my way.
2 years later it happened again, same story.
When I was 19 I went on a hike to some waterfalls, and the mosquitoes were horrendous. On the hike back out, in addition to going uphill, I was being feasted upon (thanks, Northern B.C.) and ended up having a mild asthma attack (I have mild asthma - generally not a big deal). I wasn't near a hospital, so we went back to camp, I took my inhalers, and had a 6 hour nap.
When I was 21 I got stuck out at a lake for a few hours more than we had anticipated. This time there were Noseeums (if you don't know, they are a tiny little fly that you can hardly see - hence no-see-ums - that CHEW on you and make you bleed.) They chewed on every part of skin exposed, bug spray or not. Within an hour of leaving the lake (truck repaired) my face started to swell. We stopped and got some Benadryl. I took some, went home, and went to bed. I woke up in the morning unable to see - my eyes were completely swollen closed. I went to the ER, was seen by a doctor, and she gave me prescription doses of Benadryl and Zantac75 (works in conjunction with Benadryl as a powerful antihistamine). I gave her the same history I just gave you. She told me to always use lots and lots of DEET, and if something like this happens one too many times more, it may turn anaphylaxis.

Allergies can develop...
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.08.15(Sun)16:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

katienaha wrote:
Allergies can develop...

Yes, I think they can too. Growing up, I never got hayfever... but then in the past couple of years, I've started getting it. Just a tiny bit... but it's there when it didn't used to be at all!

Allergies, to me, seem like they're less likely to be something environment-related and more just "one of those things" that some people have and some people don't. I mean, even dogs can get allergies (and I'm assuming other creatures, too). I've read things like... if you were formula-fed as a baby, you're more likely to have allergies than your breast-fed counterparts. But ... as all of my siblings were breastfed, and nearly all of them have a strong allergy of one kind or another (cats, dogs, and Ibuprofen, for example) and all of them but me and my youngest sister seem to have had problems with hayfever growing up, I don't think that's the case, either. I always just figured... if you're allergic to kiwi, you just don't eat kiwi. My husband is allergic to pine trees... so we try to avoid going hiking in areas that has a lot of them. I really don't think exposing him to more and more pine trees is going to make him any less allergic. He's also allergic to brewer's yeast. LOL... if exposing him to more and more of it would solve his allergy, trust me; it would be gone by now. Laughing Laughing
katienaha
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.08.16(Mon)3:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

rales12 wrote:
He's also allergic to brewer's yeast. LOL... if exposing him to more and more of it would solve his allergy, trust me; it would be gone by now. Laughing Laughing

Nice! Funny how we like to ignore our little allergies...

Actually what has worked for me for lessening symptoms for hay fever (I suffer terribly) is eating local honey, ideally speficically the thing you are allergic to the MOST. I suffer when the cottonwood tree give off their fluff, and at the peak of summer when the fireweed is in bloom, so I try to eat Fireweed honey. Also I switched from margarine to butter, although I still use canola oil in some circumstances (I try to use olive oil but in some cases it just doesn't work).

My dad and I have the same allergies - cats, and pollens. His has become progrssively worse in the last 6 years and he's in his mid 50's.
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.08.16(Mon)3:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to agree, local honey is one of the best things for allergies.
Instead of canola oil use grapeseed oil, hecka better for you and works better.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.08.16(Mon)3:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am considering the switch to peanut oil/grapeseed oil/etc but once this jug of canola oil is gone ill switch - its heading on a year and a half that I've had this container of it. goes to show how often it gets used...
Cliff Mayes
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.08.16(Mon)12:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sensitivities or allergies (if you will) come and go sometimes.

Long story short, after getting on to a more righteous diet I came to the conclusion that I had a sensitivity to milk products and I dearly love Ice Cream but after asking various Doctors why I did not have Sinus Headaches anymore and getting "I don't know" answers, I finally realized that it was probably milk causing the Headaches. It is fine for baby cows but maybe not so good for human adults. The rate of sensitivity is very high.

I was bragging to my brother about not getting colds and he replied that it was due to my washing my hands regularly and I realized that he was probably right.
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.08.16(Mon)13:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cliff Mayes wrote:
Long story short, after getting on to a more righteous diet I came to the conclusion that I had a sensitivity to milk products and I dearly love Ice Cream but after asking various Doctors why I did not have Sinus Headaches anymore and getting "I don't know" answers, I finally realized that it was probably milk causing the Headaches. It is fine for baby cows but maybe not so good for human adults. The rate of sensitivity is very high.

It is incredibly high. I know a lot of people who are lactose intolerant. I suppose that's why there seems to be a lot more products like rice milk, almond milk and soy milk out on the market these days... I think people are starting to realize that its making them sick.
Though... Did you know they make lactose-free ice cream? I'm told it tastes pretty good. Wink In case you wanted to treat yourself! Smile
Darkblade48
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.08.16(Mon)14:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly enough, lactose intolerance is the "wild type" phenotype in the human population (the majority anyway). If you are lactose tolerant, then you are actually a "mutant", as you have retained the ability to produce lactase.

I believe there was a population of people (Mediterrean/Baltic?) that have a significantly higher percentage of "mutant" phenotype, however... Very Happy
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to: