Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
My trip to Red Rose mine
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Reply to topic   Post new topic
katienaha
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.08.10(Tue)13:42    Post subject: My trip to Red Rose mine Reply with quote

One of the 3 creek crossings we needed to do, and it was the easiest of them. My boyfriend is the one in the brown shirt, our friend is on the rock filming.

This is the view we had from camp. We camped on an old tailing pond that had a stream running through it that conveniently kept our water and other beverages very very cold.

This is the mine site. It is 1.7kms straight UP from camp, but we probably walked 6-8kms on the switchbacks

This is about halfway up. You can *just* see the mine shafts on the upper left portion of the picture, above the straight edge of the mountainside I am on.

This made it in due to the striking difference of the 2 mountains. There is a fault line there, and I love how the one mountain is red, the other silver.

http://www.freeportresources.com/s/RedRose.asp?ReportID=298951
Here's an informative page on the history of this mine site. I enjoyed it!

Now to be clear, I should NOT have hiked this mountain, my knee was in bad shape by the end of it. But, who can say it wasn't worth it? It was beautiful up there.
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.08.10(Tue)13:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like a beautiful trip indeed! I've never been to an old mine site before -- that had to have been exciting, too. Smile

Thanks for sharing -- especially the last one! I didn't know any such thing could exist. Smile That is breathtaking. Cool
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.08.10(Tue)21:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that last shot almost looks like it's artificially made.
UncleWillie
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.08.16(Mon)11:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the trip report and photos. These are excellent! Sounds like a fun time.
kiplee09
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.09.21(Tue)12:53    Post subject: fascinating Reply with quote

I just love those old houses you passed by through..I wonder if those are still available for vacancy? you know, they could renovate them and do some little arrangements and let the people rent them for a fee...seems feasible eh? Razz
katienaha
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.09.21(Tue)12:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose, if you want to live on a sloughing hillside. lots of those are on their way down the mountain. and I'm sure asbestos insulation. they are trashed now, and they werent really houses. they were cook houses and bunk houses used only for the purposes of the mine and the employees.

And it took 3 hours to walk up there from the nearest drivable road.
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: