Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
dwarf neon rainbowfish
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
katienaha
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.08.10(Tue)13:10    Post subject: dwarf neon rainbowfish Reply with quote

I popped into the LFS today to check out there DNRs.. and noticed that some of them had yellow fins, while others had the regular red ones. Other than being yellow finned, they didn't look sickly, and their blue was still bright. I talked to the employee, and he said that they turned yellow, they didn't arrive like that, and he had no explanation (and he usually knows his stuff!)

Any ideas? Should I avoid this batch of fish?
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.08.10(Tue)13:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told the yellow finned ones are female and the red ones are male. My yellow is thinner bodied than the red, too, which seems to support that. Smile I don't know about the fading part, though. Confused
keithkyli
Members

PostPosted: 2010.08.12(Thu)1:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love dwarf neon rainbowfish. I've kept two of those, by pure chance my dad bought a pair. I knew their sexes before I read anything - the red one liked to spread its fins and flex its muscles in front of the yellow one, and it would chase the biggest skirt tetra away; the yellow one was very docile. From my instinct as a biology major I determined the red one was male and the yellow one was female.

As they matured, I even witnessed them spawning in my old cramped tank (6L!) despite constant harassment from tiger barbs. The male would chase the female like crazy and the female would initially evade, and finally give in (possibly as a fitness test for the male). When the moment has come, they position themselves side by side, head slightly upwards, their bodies shiver and some easily visible eggs will come out. If conditions are right, the spawning can last for a few days. In my tank, the trigger was likely an increase in sunshine and addition of cool water from water changes (which simulates heavy rainfall).

A very spectacular point about this fish is, when the male is high on testosterone (so to speak), he will flash a bright yellow stripe on his otherwise blue-gray forehead when he wants to signal the female "Shall we dance?", when he thrusts during the pre-spawn chase, and literally when he is "coming". The stripe would only appear for a moment and then go out. It's very very impressive. That's why they are called "Lightning Beauty" in Chinese, they really live up to their name!

The couple spawned at least 3 times in front of my eyes, of course all of the eggs were consumed within minutes. Later I bought a juvenile. With the older couple for comparison, I noticed it grew very fast.

Sadly, I lost all mine to a tank disaster, yet they lingered the longest. I miss them very much. It would be great if I have the room to hold some again.
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.08.12(Thu)3:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's funny, keithkyli... I read your post, then decided to go watch my fish for a little bit while I waited for my son to fall asleep and my male dwarf neon started chasing the female around, flaring his fins and flashing his stripe at her. I watched them for about twenty minutes, then moved on... but I can still him from here, chasing her around.

His colors are spectacular when he is doing this display! He's a beautiful fish anyway... but, man! I tried to take a picture, but I only got a couple blurry ones and then my camera died. Confused

I think I'm going to pick up a breeding tank and see if I can get them to spawn.
katienaha
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.08.12(Thu)4:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys! payday tomorrow.. if I find I have some spare cash I will go down and pick up a few more Very Happy
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.08.12(Thu)8:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

katienaha wrote:
thanks guys! payday tomorrow.. if I find I have some spare cash I will go down and pick up a few more Very Happy

I think you'll enjoy having a couple of females in your tank Smile Watching the males display at them is fantastic. I hope you're lucking enough to get to see it!
katienaha
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.08.13(Fri)9:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up 4 more - 3 females one male. they are so dull compared to mine. I can't wait to see them brighten up.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: