Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
a newbie making a diy background?!?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.08.10(Tue)10:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

katienaha wrote:
the place I had most luck with finding wood, is on a riverbank on sandbars or eddys, and bring a saw - root wood is twisty and cool looking, but usually still attached to the tree that got washed away!

Oh Katie, I'm so glad you mentioned this -- I'm hoping to get up into the mountains here soon, and would never have thought to bring a saw, just in case. Wink

I got some driftwood at PetSmart a couple of months ago and I am quite happy with it. Smile If its the mopani kind... just be prepared to soak it for a couple weeks. Wink (Unless you want tannins -- then boiling for a few hours is fine Smile)
katienaha
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.08.10(Tue)12:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rales - its almost funny how you say "going up into the mountains". I take them for granted... Maybe I'll post a few pictures of my trip near Kitseguecla because. We did a 4x4 trip to an old mine site called Red Rose. yup.. that's what I'll do... see aqua lounge Very Happy

But I picked up my root wood on the banks of the Quesnel river in May during yet another 4x4 excursion. I soaked it for over 2 months before adding to my tank, and after I did a massive water change on my tank yesterday, I realized how much tannin had leached into the water!
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.08.10(Tue)13:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

katienaha wrote:
Rales - its almost funny how you say "going up into the mountains". I take them for granted... Maybe I'll post a few pictures of my trip near Kitseguecla because. We did a 4x4 trip to an old mine site called Red Rose. yup.. that's what I'll do... see aqua lounge Very Happy

Haha... I live in the middle of the prairie. Wink I WISH I lived next to them... ah. Smile
pchsncrm0812
Members

PostPosted: 2010.08.12(Thu)11:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

so the tank has been soaking for a few days and the pH is still doing great Smile it rose from 6.8 out of the tap to 7.2. I'm still changing the water everyday, but I put the sand and driftwood decorations in today.. it's coming together!! I'm getting so excited! I also bought some java fern and amazon sword today and I'm gonna try them out in my 10g and see how they work out. If all goes well, this new tank will have real plants rather than the silk I had picked out. So anywho, heres what it looks like so far

rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.08.12(Thu)12:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

A pH rise out of the tap is pretty common, I believe. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that tap water has CO2 in it, and when that evaporates (or whatever it does >_>) out of the water, then the pH will rise to what it actually is.

I REALLY like it! Are you going to do a journal? (hint, hint, nudge, nudge?) Laughing
pchsncrm0812
Members

PostPosted: 2010.08.12(Thu)12:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I was thinking about that.. I'm definitely on this site enough! Haha I can rant and rave about everything that I think I am driving friends and CO2 workers nuts with lol.

I expected the rise, and in fact I expected MUCH MORE of a rise so I guess the epoxy resin really does it's job!! The only thing is it kinda peeled off of one of the rocks on the bottom so I'm hoping that doesn't cause a more drastic rise.. time will tell! My filter is on a 55 gallon that is already cycling so I have another week or so before I start taking the next steps. I already have 5 bronze corys and 2 that I can't exactly identify.. maybe false julii's but beyond that I have no idea what my stock will be.
DaleJr
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.08.13(Fri)1:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stumbled across this site one day when looking for mine. Hope it helps

http://www.manzanita.com/aqwood.htm
pchsncrm0812
Members

PostPosted: 2010.08.13(Fri)6:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool thanks for sharing that! I'll have to keep it in mind for the next tank Wink
pchsncrm0812
Members

PostPosted: 2011.02.07(Mon)10:40    Post subject: an update Reply with quote

A few days after my last post, my mother passed away suddenly, so I wasn't on here for awhile. I had intended on keeping it updated with the progress but as you can imagine things got put off for a bit.

The tank is fully established now and I am so proud of how things turned out. I have 5 bronze corys, 6 neons, 5 glolight tetras (lost 1 recently), and 3 masked corys that I think are c. leucomelas (I would have more but they were all that the lfs had at the time) and 2 male guppies that I "rescued" from a neighbor. Other than the loss of the 1 tetra, things have been wonderful with this tank. I'm using an Aquaclear 70 and do weekly water changes of about 40% because there are more fish than I intended to have! Water parameters have been stable so far Smile I have some pictures to share, of course...

Turns out the added cave was a definitely plus for the cory cats. That and the center piece of wood are their favorite places to hang out Smile

Some are blurry, sorry for that! It's hard to get a clear picture with a camera phone!
pchsncrm0812
Members

PostPosted: 2011.02.07(Mon)10:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are a few that for some reason did not want to work on my other post, lol. I definitely wanted to share them though Smile Hope you guys enjoy
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: