Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
ID on Catfish
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
altondaley36
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.09.04(Sat)4:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well after adding some potato and making sure the he gets food , he is doing well .

Now I know allot of people say fishes are not smart but for the last week that skinny loach has got me puzzled . When it time to feed the fish I add some bottom pellets and you must see what this loach dus . He sucks on the pellets and swims away with it in his mouth to avoid the other fish eating it. Then he sits in his corner and eat alone without the other bothering him .

I was stun to see that the loach know he should grab one and get out before the other come .Next time dus it I will take some photo's .
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.09.04(Sat)6:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

altondaley36 wrote:
Now I know allot of people say fishes are not smart but for the last week that skinny loach has got me puzzled . When it time to feed the fish I add some bottom pellets and you must see what this loach dus . He sucks on the pellets and swims away with it in his mouth to avoid the other fish eating it. Then he sits in his corner and eat alone without the other bothering him .

I was stun to see that the loach know he should grab one and get out before the other come .Next time dus it I will take some photo's .

I'm not so convinced that they aren't intelligent. Smile

The other day, I was showing my son our betta, and he grabbed at the little can of food that was sitting next to the tank, and the betta went NUTS. She started swimming in circles and making little splashes at the surface, etc. I only feed her every two or three days, so she must have been pretty hungry Smile And she evidently knows what the yellow container is. Smile
Cliff Mayes
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.09.04(Sat)9:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct. Fish are not dull witted. Fish are small and do not care about the things that make us what we are. Fish are placed in containers that are very small and do not get choices about it. Tanks are small and the density of critters (both plants and other living things are squished together for our purposes not theirs.

Fish are in to keeping safe and eating enough to stay alive. Reproductive activity can be in response to the addition of chemicals, relatively good or very bad conditions.

We have the power over the critters in a tank that is profound and with this comes a certain amount of consideration.

Fish and other animals probably learn faster than we do but have a tendency to not forget something once they are "trained" to respond a certain way, which can be annoying to humans that can be talked out of a certain behavior.
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.09.04(Sat)12:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

"With great aquariums, comes great responsibility."
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.09.05(Sun)7:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

My flowerhorns tell me what food they want. I tend to have 3-4 different kinds of foods for them. I show them each food till they 'dance' for the one they want. I can set it down and go back through them in a different order and they will still 'dance' for the same food. The funny thing is is that they will pick different foods throughout the week. Its the darnedest thing I have ever seen!
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: