Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Considering a Corydoras tank
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.08.05(Thu)0:05    Post subject: Considering a Corydoras tank Reply with quote

I've been tempted to do this for a while now but finally decided on it - going to shut down my nano-reef and convert the tank to a freshwater setup. The tank itself is 50x29x29, nominal volume 42L but effective volume will probably be closer to 37-38L.

I'm still working things out, but am planning to set up this tank around a small group of corys - C. habrosus is particularly attractive to me and I'm probably going to try and hunt around for adults of these species as I understand juveniles do not do particularly well in small tanks. Plenty of time to decide as I am still in the process of clearing the tank.

So far my preliminary stocking plan goes something like this:
6-8 Microrasbora sp - looking at M. kubotai but subject to change
5-9 C. hastatus
2-3 Otocinclus sp

Plants:
Typical non-rooting plants: Anubias, needle-leaf java fern, mosses, Amazon frogbit to act as a nutrient sponge. Thinking about trying a tall grass-like plant somewhere but not sure whether it will be uprooted: S. subulata, vals or Cyperus helferi.

Other stuff:
Looking at a Rena XP1 or Eden 511 canister, low lighting ~12-15w.

Any comments, tips or things that I should be aware of, please feel free to chip in as I have really not planned much out.
59FIFTY
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.08.05(Thu)3:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think when I was deciding on Corys I was told that the dwarf and pygmy cories don't rest on the bottom of the tank and they are more like any other fish. so if you are basing your tank on them keep that in mind!
Fern
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.08.05(Thu)4:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not be too concerned about the plants choice, You can do rooted plants just fine. They will uproot a few and those you just plant in a different spot till they like where you put their plants. But if you try to replant them in the same spot it will be a never ending battle. Personally I like where my corys have chosen for their plants, it ends up looking very natural and quite nice!
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.08.05(Thu)8:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blyxa would be great as a grassy plant. I can't wait to see how it will turn out as your tanks are always amazing!
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.08.05(Thu)11:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the impression C. hastatus is the only dwarf cory that acts like "regular" corys, is this wrong?

I think I'll probably try growing in the plants first & stocking the other fish first, hopefully that will give them a bit of time to root themselves in before the corys dig them up. Planning to seed the tank with seed shrimp and black worms before stocking too.

Would love Blyxa but I'm not sure how well it'll go in low light/low tech (I think not very well). I am pretty sure Cyperus helferi will work if I can get my hands on some!
Fern
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.08.05(Thu)14:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes if you give the plants some time to root before the corys get added you should not have any issues with them redecorating the tank Laughing
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.08.05(Thu)17:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

C habrosus is the bottom dwelling dwarf - hastatus is more free swimming with pygmaus being practically a mid water swimmer.
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.08.05(Thu)18:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, I always get confused between hastatus and habrosus! Correction: after C. habrosus not C. hastatus.

Heres a question for you guys: are corys prone to carpet surfing? I am planning to run this tank open top as I have the overhangs already in place to hang a lighting pendant from.
Fern
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.08.07(Sat)1:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

out of my 20 adults and 100s of fry I have never had one jump! and have never had lids on their tanks.
keithkyli
Members

PostPosted: 2010.08.09(Mon)14:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 4 peppered corys and they have never uprooted a thing, though I don't know if other species behave similarly. Corys are really cute! And hardy as hell! Razz
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: