Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
My New Angelfish
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Mike612
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2010.07.31(Sat)3:24    Post subject: My New Angelfish Reply with quote

I passed by my lfs last weekend. I was hoping to pick up a Golden Angelfish, Centropyge aurantia. I haven't actually seen one for the last two years or so and I had no idea if my lfs would have one, but I've seen them being offered online a lot lately, so I decided to go and see if my lfs had one. For the entire drive down to the store, I kept on saying to myself "They're going to have one! They're going to have one!" and then I got there and sure enough, there were three of them!

I looked at the first one. It was hiding behind a filter intake and really wasn't moving around anywhere. I saw the second one and even as I was just walking over to his tank, I saw him in the front. When he saw me, he went into hiding but within a couple of seconds he was swimming out in the open again. I didn't even notice the third one until the owner of the lfs pointed it out to me. It was behaving similarly to the first one.

The second angel seemed to be in the best condition of the three and the most likely to survive if I brought it home. I asked the owner of the lfs to feed all three of the angels, just to ensure that at least one of them was eating. He fed them in the same order that I found them in. The first one showed absolutely no interest in the food. The second one, the one that I was eying, swam away from the food, but then took two bites and that was it. It didn't eat more than that. The third one acted like the first and showed no interest in the food.

Regardless of the fact that the Golden Angel I was looking at wasn't eating that well, I still took him home with me. I dripped him for 2 hours and within minutes of placing him in my tank, he was out in the open, grazing on the rocks. Nobody bothered him and he didn't bother anybody. In fact, he actually shares a cave with my Swissguard Basslet and even made the shy basslet more outgoing. I see that basslet a lot now! I tried to feed him a little mysis shrimp that night and he just swam away from it.

Everyday was the same. He was out in the open (to my surprise) and refusing all foods that I offered him. While I was watching him graze at the rocks and glass, I noticed that he was actually picking at the copepods off the aquarium walls. I decided to try and feed him something I don't usually feed my fish, daphnia. It's not something I want him to really eat. I'd prefer if he ate mysis, formulas one and two, spirulina, and whatever else, but if I can get him to at least eat one thing that I'm giving him, then I'll feed him that.

I mixed the daphnia in with whatever food I was feeding him that day. He still ran away from the food, but when it all settled on to the rocks, he went nuts picking at the rocks. I wasn't sure if he was eating the daphnia because, well, the food's barely visibly when it's floating around. I can't see it when it settles down on the rocks. I continued this feeding routine for 4 days.

Finally last night, I poured the daphnia into the tank with some frozen krill. To my surprise, he was picking at the daphnia in the water column, not off the rocks! He was finally learning to start eating! Since I saw him eat the daphnia last night, I decided not to mix it with anything and just put in daphnia by itself and again, he went right for it with gusto! As I said earlier, I wasn't too happy that of all the things I'm giving him, he's eating this. Half an hour after I fed him the daphnia, I decided to throw in some formula two because his tankmates don't eat the daphnia. Low and behold, he went right for the formula two! He's finally eating. The only issue now was that he only ate small pieces of formula two. Let me remind you that he's eating daphnia so when I say small pieces, I mean small pieces. He spat out bigger pieces.

Even though he's only eating microscopic pieces of food, he's eating! He's eating, he's swimming out in the open all the time, which is very unusual for this species of Angelfish, all in one week of being in captivity. I couldn't be happier. Now I just have to get a decent picture of him. I took a couple of pictures of him, but they're blurry. When I get a good picture of him, I'll put it up!

Last edited by Mike612 on 2010.07.31(Sat)12:01; edited 2 times in total
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2010.07.31(Sat)11:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's a beautiful deep water species you have there, sadly they can be difficult to keep for most hobbyists, but I'm sure you've done your homework on it. I love the color on those, looking forward to some photos. The fact that it's eating is great news Mike, by the way; Ocean Nutrition makes a angelfish product with sponges and a pygmy angel formula you might want to try as well. Here's a couple of links:
http://www.marinedepot.com/Ocean_Nutrition_Angel_Formula_Cube_Tray_7oz_Cube_Tray_Fish_Coral_Food-Ocean_Nutrition-ON6515-FIFDFZFSCF-vi.html

http://www.amazon.com/Ocean-Nutrition-Pygmy-Angel-Formula/dp/B001EIU1GU%3FSubscriptionId%3D14H876SFAKFS0EHBYQ02%26tag%3Dhubpages-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB001EIU1GU

Last edited by FloridaBoy on 2010.07.31(Sat)11:43; edited 1 time in total
Mike612
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2010.07.31(Sat)11:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the recommendation and nice comments Floridaboy. I have actually tried using angel formula in the past when I had a finicky Paracentropyge Venustus. That angel completely refused that food... If I recall correctly, correct me if I'm wrong, angel formula looks like big ugly worms. I'm not so sure that my angel would go for it. Like I said, he's been nibbling on smaller foods. Tonight he went for smaller pieces of mysis shrimp which I'm very happy about. I think, for now, I'll focus on getting him to eat the standard meals that I give all my fish (mysis, formulas one and two, krill, spirulina) and maybe when he starts going for bigger pieces, I'll try to get him to eat the angel formula. Formulas one and two have sponges in them also and the spirulina should keep him going in the mean time too.

I'll keep you posted. You have no idea how happy I am that he's eating so soon. I'm also excited about him being out in the open all day long and even coming up to the front of the tank to check me out when I watch him. What an amazing specimen!
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.08.01(Sun)10:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pictures?
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2010.08.01(Sun)10:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I have good pictures, I'll put them up.

On another note, I tried feeding him without the daphnia today. He went for the spirulina, but again, only small pieces. Later on in the day, I threw in some color bits and he went for those too. I think it's safe to say that now he'll eat anything, so long as the food is the right size.
Mike612
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2010.08.05(Thu)6:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

He loves his color bits! He eats everything I give him, but he goes for the color bits a lot faster than anything else. Golden Angelfish are really cute. I like their round shape Smile
Mike612
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2010.08.05(Thu)6:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a blurry picture.

Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.08.05(Thu)8:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love it!
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2010.08.05(Thu)8:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.
Mike612
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2010.09.01(Wed)12:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: The angel's still doing very well. He's turned from eating small bits to picking at big pieces of food and now only goes for the biggest pieces. It's weird considering he only ate small foods in the beginning, but whatever makes him happy. He's still eating everything that I give him, except for nori. Past experience has shown me that most angels don't learn to pick at nori unless they see other fish, like tangs, pick at it first. It's OK though because he's eating spirulina and sponge-based foods. He also picks at the caulerpa in the tank so I know my baby's getting his vegetables Smile
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: