Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Can't ID this puffer!
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
pchsncrm0812
Members

PostPosted: 2010.07.27(Tue)9:20    Post subject: Can't ID this puffer! Reply with quote

I was at a LFS yesterday and saw a bright lemon yellow freshwater puffer with white spots. I googled it for hours last night because I was curious but couldn't find anything. Anyone familiar with what it could be? They were only about a 1/2 inch long and definitely in fresh water tanks, not saltwater. It was super cute!

Sad thing is, as good as the tanks and fish at this store look, they have very generic practically post-it type signs to tell you what kind of fish it is. Due to the fact that a few days ago when I asked what kind of cory was in another tank and got an "I don't know" answer, I didn't even bother to ask.
deborah_claro
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.07.28(Wed)22:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've kept dwarf puffers (Carinotetraodon travancoricus) and a nearby pal currently keeps a single figure 8 puffer (Tetraodon biocellatus) in a brackish species tank.

Dwarf puffers stay very small and are usually offered at the half-inch size, but what you describe does not sound like a DP.

Instead of white spots could you mean a network design of black lines with light centers? In that case, maybe you saw a very young figure 8 puffer. These are usually offered at a two-inch or so size, so the size you describe seems small.

Here is a good quick photo link to popular species:
http://blog.captive-aquatics.com/captive_aquatics/2009/04/an-introduction-to-freshwater-puffers-.html
It's not too big a read and the information seems good to me.
Very Happy
Members

PostPosted: 2010.07.29(Thu)2:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I came across pictures of the figure 8's and a lot of other types and haven't found anything similar. I will have to go back and take some pictures maybe that will help! They were definitely all white spots...bright white at that. That was what caught my eye when walking past the tank. They were very curious and came right up to the glass to say hello. The best I can expain it is they were a bright lemon yellow, with bright white spots. I'm wondering if maybe they were some type of hybrid?
pchsncrm0812
Members

PostPosted: 2010.07.29(Thu)6:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I went by the store today and they were all gone Sad every one of them!
monstrosity
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.07.29(Thu)6:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't seem to find anything that looks like what you described, either. Maybe the white spots were some kind of disease? but I think you would have noticed that, as they wouldn't all be the same size and perfectly symetrical.

29 G
pchsncrm0812
Members

PostPosted: 2010.07.29(Thu)8:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it's definitely got me stumped! They spots definitely weren't disease. It was like the green spotted puffer, but just different colors. I hope I come across them again because I would like to (down the road when I have some more experience under my belt) have a puffer tank. They're such curious little fish Smile
monstrosity
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.08.01(Sun)12:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try asking your LFS where they order their fish from. Then you can go to that company's website or ask them or something.

29 G
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: