Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Barb Breeding Journal
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
invertmaniac
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.08.07(Sat)13:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same female, different male this time. The old male is still very pretty... but he is so shaken up from last time he burys himself and hides under driftwood when I try to catch him. Spawn tank is redone; half hornwort mat, half bare. New sponge filter.

Fingers crossed
invertmaniac
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.08.08(Sun)11:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I'm a little pissed. I added my Cherries and when I got home from work today they were exhibiting a bit of spawning behavior. He was nipping at her backside and following her around. OK, whatever, they should spawn tomorrow.

BUT, I saw my Cherries in my MAIN tank spawning a bunch! What the heck!!? Anyways, I understand that my previous attempts have had very little change of succeeding. So, after this attempt, I am going to actually do it by the books and leave my 75g alone. My work has 11 female Tangerine Rosy Barbs with no males, so I am going to get a couple of those, condition them for a month or so, and get a male or two from a separate LFS I know of. Not only are Rosys larger, more prolific, and more expensive, but their fry are bigger and easier to raise.

If I am successful with those I'll try either Golds or Odessas next. But of course, I could be sitting on eggs at this very moment.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.08.08(Sun)17:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please don't buy any more fish.
Rosy barbs are too big for your breeding tank and your 75g is pretty full already.
Put the female cherries back in the main tank and the males in the spawning tank.
When the females look ready add one to the males and they should spawn.
invertmaniac
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.08.09(Mon)1:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

No no I wouldn't put Rosys in my 75, I think they are horribly ugly fish. And they would destroy my plants. My work is basically giving them away at 99c a piece and I could snag them for half that much. They would stay in the breeder tank, spawn, and when I am done with them they will either be taken back or put in a 'holding' tank I am setting up for Cories.

Trust me I know my tank is heavily stocked, the only fish I would even consider adding would be some Otos. Rosys are just currently very available to me and really easy to spawn.
invertmaniac
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.08.09(Mon)1:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

But I'm still deciding on what to do. Yea Rosys would be a little big in a 10g. I'll think it over.
invertmaniac
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.08.15(Sun)9:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 Odessa Females have been conditioning in the 10g for about a week. Unfortunately, the males have been fighting over the remaining two females and one has hurt his gills. They are kind of sticking out too far, but his breathing is normal. I dosed Pimafix just incase.

A male will be introduced either Thursday or Monday.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.08.15(Sun)17:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are doing it the wrong way round - males in the spawning tank and add a female when she's good & round.
invertmaniac
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.08.16(Mon)8:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the opposite of what I've heard from dozens of accounts of Barb breeding. It would be impossible to keep the males from mating the females in the 75g which is why 3 females are in the breeder conditioning. The males are getting lots of live food too, and they are getting all fired up because there are less females to males now.

I've been basing my actions off of numerous articles/accounts I've read as well as what my boss (who has bred barbs) has done in the past.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.08.16(Mon)17:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your spawning tank is too small to properly condition the females and you have to take take all the males away from the females during preparation.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: