Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
10 gallon scavenger?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
deborah_claro
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.07.25(Sun)17:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really think you're pushing it by trying to add other fat fish. Corys are fat, loaches are fat, and they all deliver more waste than they do good cleaning up. Same with the apple snail, which will produce more load than good it does. (I realize you don't want that snail now, I'm just being emphatic.)

You've got a nice-looking tank going with the killies, which are gorgeous. I thought it was going to be a species tank. Many folks go wrong trying to stuff too many fish into a ten gallon tank. It looks bigger than it is, it's a nice size, but you have to know when to stop.

Why do you need a scavenger, anyway? Are you overfeeding?

Also, you have a lot of stem plants which can be easily uprooted by the fish you mention, corys and loaches, as well as by any small loricariid, such as a domestic BN or a Panaque maccus.
Very Happy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.07.26(Mon)11:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for all the input! I really don't think I will but any thing in there besides the killies! the reason why I don't want snail is because they eat eggs right? well I guess fish would to Rolling Eyes so I guess I will have to be the scavenger. Very Happy and the reason I wanted a scavenger is because the killies seem to eat kinda slow so some of it sinks to the bottom. I was maybe thinking about a mexican dwarf orange crayfish.

but today I did a test with 2 ghost shrimp. 1 larger 1 around 1.5 to 1 inch long then another around .7 to and inch long. the inch long one was killed within minutes and was picked on in seconds. the bigger one is holding his own Shocked so I don't think ill put any thing else in.

but will snails eat baby fish eggs?

thanks.
deborah_claro
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.07.27(Tue)0:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes I have no idea of what snails eat. I have 47 billion MTS in my ten gallon Dekeyseria species tank and I have no idea what the snails are eating. I do not overfeed the tank - in fact, I only feed the catfish every two or three days. This is to insure that he eats his food!

So, what are all those MTS eating? I have no idea, but they thrive!

Using this same tank as a further example, I used to have have three different species of snails in that tank but I hand removed all of the pond snails because I didn't like their egg clutches. They were laying those awful gel sacs all over the plants and it was so ugly! None of the other snails ate the pond snail eggs so I don't know if snails will eat fish eggs or not. We think of snails as eating anything, but I believe that what they really want to do is crawl through the sand or gravel looking for tiny freshwater invertebrates which may be growing in any freshwater system.

Your ghost shrimp story is a surprise to me but it does help confirm the reputation of your type of killi, doesn't it? I kept a few ghost shrimp in a small Asian tank and there would often be skirmishes over food between the shrimps and the fish. On day I saw my dwarf gourami and the largest ghost - about 1.5 inches and kind of big around the middle - go after the same flake and the ghost shrimp actually REARED up on its back legs like a horse and lunged at the gourami! Ghost shrimp are not afraid of fish but if your killi is able to kill them then I suppose you should only get the biggest ones you can find. The ghost shrimp are probably your best bet for cleaners in this tank, and they are not expensive.

Dylan wrote:
I was maybe thinking about a mexican dwarf orange crayfish.
How will you keep its shell hard? We are back to the supplementation thing again. Confused
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.07.28(Wed)10:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

again thanks. I might pick up a nerite snail or 2! maybe more ghost shrimp too. it really helped them grow and get some more color! Very Happy
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: