Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
I am thinking of having a terrarium. Frog, Snake, or Lizard?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Reply to topic   Post new topic
59FIFTY
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.07.15(Thu)7:51    Post subject: I am thinking of having a terrarium. Frog, Snake, or Lizard? Reply with quote

I am going to be using my 15 gallon as a Terrarium and was wondering if anyone has had one before? I want to know what is more fun to have! My mom willmost likely not let me have a snake so I am limited as to what I can have... What do you think? and I want a small wild lizard or 2 not a gecko or anything.
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.07.16(Fri)5:12    Post subject: Re: I am thinking of having a terrarium. Frog, Snake, or Liz Reply with quote

59FIFTY wrote:
I am going to be using my 15 gallon as a Terrarium and was wondering if anyone has had one before? I want to know what is more fun to have! My mom willmost likely not let me have a snake so I am limited as to what I can have... What do you think? and I want a small wild lizard or 2 not a gecko or anything.

We used to have lizards when we were kids. The worst part of it was the crickets that we fed them, really. They escaped the tank all the time, and we'd find rogue crickets all over the bedroom...

It was fun, though. There's so many options other than snakes... there's lizards, spiders, turtles... (though probably not turtles fit in a 15 gallon)...etc.
59FIFTY
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.07.16(Fri)12:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah! I'm not sure I would want aspider! I have the little buggers! Haha! I never really realized how much I wnted one till yesterday when I was in florida and caught a wild color changing lizard with my hands. He was so cool! He had his mouth open ready to attack my so I put my skim boardup to him nd he grabbed hold of it! Then he got loose from my hand and I mad this post! haha but yeah I want to avoid buying a nother filter! lol!
invertmaniac
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.07.17(Sat)4:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was an Anole, and yes, they are all over down there. For lizards in a 15 gallon you could go with skinks, armadillo or alligator lizards, those anoles you saw, Mediterranean geckos (Not the cling to glass kind) or any small sort of Fence/Plains lizard.

It depends on where you want to see this lizard. Do you want him on the upper part of the cage on a branch? Then go with an anole, blue-tailed skink, or a fence lizard. All of those are catch-able in Florida.

If you want something to hang around the bottom, go with a Mediterranean/Leopard gecko, armadillo or alligator lizards, there are tons of choices.

Your possibilities are pretty much endless, just DO NOT get suckered into getting a little bearded dragon, or monitor lizard, iguana, or uromastyx.

Anything that you can catch in Florida, or anywhere else that you live, is going to be fine in a 15g. But if you go to a petstore, remember to ask about max sizes WITH the tail included. Some people are really devious when it comes to selling reptiles.

Or get a foot long Tiawanese Centipede. Those guys eat pinky rats! Twisted Evil
ak dylpickles
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.07.17(Sat)4:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could do an aquarium/terrarium! you could keep an indian mudskipper in it! maybe a few fish like bumble bee gobie too!
invertmaniac
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.07.17(Sat)5:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

True. You could do a legitimate mini-crab habitat, an archerfish setup, or a newt/salamander enclosure.

You could do an Anole habitat with 3 inches of water at the bottom of the tank. It would have to have tons of branches so the Anole would never get caught in the water. There you could put small fish like Guppies or Endlers, Bumblebee Gobies, or even a mini-crab. You would have to make sure they two didn't attack eachother, but the more I think about this, the cooler it sounds. The water would have to be fresh though, because otherwise the Anole would get poisoned by the salt content.

Last edited by invertmaniac on 2010.07.17(Sat)11:08; edited 1 time in total
ak dylpickles
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.07.17(Sat)5:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

bumblebee gobies should only be in brackish. its best for them and they live longer
59FIFTY
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.07.17(Sat)11:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm! Well It sounds like I have quite a bit of thinking to do!
invertmaniac
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.07.17(Sat)11:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

ak dylpickles wrote:
bumblebee gobies should only be in brackish. its best for them and they live longer

Bettas are supposed to live in 1 gallon or more too, but that doesn't stop them from living in hoofprints. Most Bumblebees in the trade are acclimated to fresh, and being a brackish fish means that they can and do tolerate all kinds of salinities. I'd be more concerned with the health of the 5 inch lizard over the 1cm fish.
ak dylpickles
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.07.17(Sat)12:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would rather have my fish live for more than a year in the right conditions. But that's just me
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: