Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Tiger Barbs
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
edwarlock
Members

PostPosted: 2010.07.13(Tue)14:49    Post subject: Tiger Barbs Reply with quote

Hi, I have 7 tiger barbs in my 30 gallon aquarium and they spend their time swimming in the top part of the aquarium.

It;s not the first time I've kept them but it is the first time they do this. They are active and healthy, but well, I'd prefer they were at the middle to bottom level of the aquarium as I usually see them...

Do they need another species of fish so they can swim to the lower part of the aquarium? Is this normal?

maybe should I add a top swimming fish like a Zabra Danio?

I also wanted to add Serpae Tetras...

I have another tiger bars in a quarantine aquarium andhe swims in the bottom level of it... Rolling Eyes Same goes to another tiger barb I have in another separate tank because of he was sick...
Kaitswyn
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.07.13(Tue)15:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have noticed my tiger barbs do this alos, especially the younger ones I bought after the first 5. Though, mine take up the whole tank not just the top, in my noviceness I have attributed it to the tank not being the "correct" depth for them to feel the need to only be in the middle. I never thought there was a problem until I saw you posting that it worried you Sad
edwarlock
Members

PostPosted: 2010.07.13(Tue)15:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it worried me because I had never seen them in my experience to take the top level of the aquarium.

Mine are young Tiger Barbs, around 1"long. When I first got them they sawm at the bottom level. But I bought them infected with dactilogirus/ich whatever, and also shared the tank with lemon tetras, and black phantom tetras and one flame tetra.

Now they are fine, nd I thought the lemon and flame tetra gave them hell, as sometimes they'd chase the tiger barbs...but now they are not in the tank I have no idea why they keep swimming in the top level...
Kaitswyn
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.07.14(Wed)3:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I paid a bit more attention last night and noticed that they aren't doing it as much as they did a few weeks ago, I am guessing it started about the time I added the serpaes. As this is my first tank I don't have anything to compare their behavior to. The smaller ones still do it sometimes but not as much as they did when I first got them. Though everytime I walk to close to the tank they all go to the top waiting to see if I am going to give them food lol.
edwarlock
Members

PostPosted: 2010.07.21(Wed)12:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added 6 Serpae and 4 checkered barbs...same behavior, although a bit more active...
Quince Sorensen
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.08.17(Tue)12:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swimming on the top could signify there's a current there, 'cause when I had some barbs (they were swallowed whole along with 7 tetras, 2 gouramis and a small cichlid by a mislabeled picti catfish.) they would avidly swim in currents. I was a bit weirded out by them swimming upside down occasionally, but advice would be to not worry unless their health is deteriorating. And whatever you do don't get the zebra danios with long fins. Barbs avidly nip long fins, resulting in many an aquarium keeper finding his/her barbs dying violent angelfish related deaths. Just monitor them for a while to see if it could be a problem.
edwarlock
Members

PostPosted: 2010.08.19(Thu)2:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quince Sorensen wrote:
Swimming on the top could signify there's a current there, 'cause when I had some barbs (they were swallowed whole along with 7 tetras, 2 gouramis and a small cichlid by a mislabeled picti catfish.) they would avidly swim in currents. I was a bit weirded out by them swimming upside down occasionally, but advice would be to not worry unless their health is deteriorating. And whatever you do don't get the zebra danios with long fins. Barbs avidly nip long fins, resulting in many an aquarium keeper finding his/her barbs dying violent angelfish related deaths. Just monitor them for a while to see if it could be a problem.

I
monstrosity
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.08.19(Thu)11:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwarlock wrote:
BTW and off topic, but I saw this zebra danios with long fins, they had the typical blue stripers but it's back was pink, like a glofish...

Wow, it's crazy what they're doing to them these days. Plus, that sounds like it looks ugly, to me.

29 G
edwarlock
Members

PostPosted: 2010.08.19(Thu)11:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

monstrosity wrote:
edwarlock wrote:
BTW and off topic, but I saw this zebra danios with long fins, they had the typical blue stripers but it's back was pink, like a glofish...

Wow, it's crazy what they're doing to them these days. Plus, that sounds like it looks ugly, to me.

Not ugly at all man! At least to me.

I've seen them with green backs too.
katienaha
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.08.19(Thu)14:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of my zebra danios has long fins... but it looks normal otherwise. don't ask me to try to take a picture of it!
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: