Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Good tankmates for Corydoras?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates  Reply to topic   Post new topic
ak dylpickles
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.07.02(Fri)14:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you monstrosity
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.07.02(Fri)17:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Synodontis nigriventris need a much larger than 20g tank though and they do need to be in groups.

I have four in a 110g - 5' long - tank and they use the entire space.
ak dylpickles
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.07.02(Fri)17:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

what? I thought we were talking about a 40 gallon.
monstrosity
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.07.03(Sat)1:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think they need that big of a tank (110g). Any fish would use all of the space in a tank, I mean, why would they just swim in one part of it???? It's just a matter of whether they need that much space, which I don't think they do in this case. I think 40 gallons is OK. And they do need to be in groups.

29 G

Last edited by monstrosity on 2010.07.03(Sat)2:17; edited 1 time in total
deborah_claro
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.07.03(Sat)2:09    Post subject: Good cory tankmates. Reply with quote

akdyl wrote:
Barbels has said that he will upgrade to the 40 long. Very Happy

I've kept C. habrosus - just about my favorite cory - for over 10 years and have seen it all. Like Nik says, they are basically bottom dwellers and are active all day. They DO swim at the mid-level to get from place to place but they don't always do it.

For mid-water swimming, the pygmy-group cory you want is C. pygmaeus. They not only swim at mid-level more often but they do something else which I find very cute - they find a group of small fish which resembles them and swim with them in a "school." It's very endearing to see. For example, my C. pygmaeus occasionally swim with my Axelrodia riesei (ruby tetras) who also have a distinct mid-line and small tail splotch, as the pygmaeus do. It's fun to watch.

As far as pencilfish, I've kept the golden pencilfish, Nannostomus beckfordi, in a fairly large group with C. sodalis in a 20 long tank. Here is my Gallery entry about that:
http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_Nannostomus_beckfordi.php
Pencilfish are really pretty and very lively. They are true top-dwellers and you need to watch that they don't jump out. IMO, they may be a bit too lively for smaller Corydoras, but I'm not sure. In a deeper tank it may work out fine.

For a first cory tank as Barbels is considering, I'd go with a reliable group of tetras, which should be added first, before the corys. What is a good "first tetra"? There are so many tetras it's difficult to pick one, but for a 40 long I think any of the following would work in a group of nine or more and give you no trouble:
Glowlight Tetra (Hemigrammus erythrozonus)
True Rummy-Nose Tetra (Hemigrammus rhodostomus)
Bleher's Rummynose Tetra (Hemigrammus bleheri) Named after Heiko Bleher, this is the one you would be most likely to find in the typical LFS.
Ember Tetra (Hyphessobrycon amandae)
Lemon Tetra (Hyphessobrycon pulchripinnis)
Pristella (X-Ray) Tetra (Pristella maxillaris)
Diamond Tetra (Moenkhausia pittieri) Very pretty - like mini Congo tetras!
Ruby tetra (Axelrodia riesei) Wild-caught; they tend to hide.
Loreto tetra (Hyphessobrycon loretoensis) This is fairly new in the hobby and slightly resembles a white cloud minnow.

I've deliberately left certain tetras off this list such as known plant eaters (Buenos Aires Tetra, Hyphessobrycon anisitsi - a group of these ate up my friend's 40 gallon breeder in a few days!); thuggish, aggressive tetras such as Gymnocorymbus ternetzi (I love these guys but they're not for everyone!); and tetras which are tricky for newcomers to keep alive such as neon and cardinal tatras. It's very hit or miss with those two. They say neons are hardier but I've found cardinals to be the more hardy and forgiving, so you see it's not all that clear. If I were Barbels, I'd avoid both this time around.
Very Happy

Deborah
Members

PostPosted: 2010.07.03(Sat)10:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

ak dylpickles wrote:
Yes, we area talking about a 40. At first I was talking about doing a 20 long, but instead I am doing a 40 long.
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: