Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Good tankmates for Corydoras?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Barbels
Members

PostPosted: 2010.07.02(Fri)8:46    Post subject: Good tankmates for Corydoras? Reply with quote

Do you think Penclfish or maybe Dwarf Pencilfish would be good tankmates for Corydoras in the 48X13 tank?
I do not want but maybe one other species besides the group of Cories. I want lots more water than fish, and the tank's not that big.
Onto another silly question (be nice)...
Are some fish more, I guess, sedentary than others? I mean, in their natural habitat, don't some fish swim more far and wide than others?
I ask this because it makes me feel badly when it seems like my fish are trying to get outta there! Corydoras aren't like that, are they? Please tell me they're not.

Anyway, does anyone have recommendations for good tankmates for Corydoras and are rather sedentary, if there's such a thing.
My apologies if this has already been discussed.
ak dylpickles
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.07.02(Fri)8:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

well first if you see your corys going up to the top and down franticly don't think they are messed up or crazy thats how they get air. second corys are a community so just about any thing is good except most cichlids
Cliff Mayes
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.07.02(Fri)9:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

All tanks are "small" and most natural bodies of water are larger than the tanks we put them in. Fish do not get choices about what size and indeed whether we put them in tanks or not. It is always better to put 5 or more Cories in a group even though most folk only put two into tanks as clean up crew. Cories are scavengers and will endlessly root around in the substrate but, as most fish, do not eat garbage, fecal material or other debris. Cories will quite literally quiver with anticipation if confronted with live stuff to dig out of the substrate. If you want to see natural behavior from Cories get a bunch of them where they are not threatened and can make their dash to the surface for a gulp of air even though they are not Anabantids or air breathers. Cories (my favorite is paleatus) are usually benign fish and are very tolerant although any fish can display unusual characteristics.
ak dylpickles
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.07.02(Fri)10:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could do a whole cory tank with the dwarf cory (corydoras h.) as a middle and top then some regular species on bottom then a small group of upside down catfish!!!!!
Barbels
Members

PostPosted: 2010.07.02(Fri)10:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

ak dylpickles wrote:
you could do a whole cory tank with the dwarf cory (corydoras h.) as a middle and top then some regular species on bottom then a small group of upside down catfish!!!!!
Cool idea!

Where is a good place to buy fish??
I've been happy with LiveAquaria, but they don't seem to have Corydoras habrosus. From what I've read, these also seem to be a neat little fish.
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.07.02(Fri)10:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbels wrote:
ak dylpickles wrote:
Cool idea!

Where is a good place to buy fish??
I've been happy with LiveAquaria, but they don't seem to have Corydoras habrosus. From what I've read, these also seem to be a neat little fish.

I believe it was Deb who once told me that corydoras seem a bit more secure with some smaller schooling fish up above, and I've found that to be true. C. habrosus do not hang out in the mid area of the tank... mine mostly hung out in the bottom just like the rest of the corydoras species. All of my cories will forage among the plant leaves and such, but are definitely bottom dwellers. I am not sure about the other two dwarf species because I have not kept them, though I believe C. hastatus spends less time on the bottom.

I've never kept pencilfish, so I'll let someone else weigh in on that.

I keep harlequin rasboras with my cories. IMO, they are the perfect species to compliment the corydoras. Rasboras hang near the upper part of the tank and very rarely frequent the bottom. This is nice because I never have to worry about the rasboras stealing the cories' food. (The tetras I've kept have used the entire tank, making the cory food fair game to them).

As far as where to get cories, http://www.corysrus.com/ generally has a wide selection. You can also try www.aquabid.com. (Beware, it's addicting! Aquabid is where I found myself spending hundreds of dollars importing bettas from Thailand Laughing ).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
ak dylpickles
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.07.02(Fri)11:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

hatchet fish are another good idea but I still think that a cory tank would be awesome. I have seen upside down cats on all levels of the tank all so Corydoras habrosus swims on the middle level and I have seen them too. they are very pretty and tiny. but well worth it!
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.07.02(Fri)11:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

ak dylpickles wrote:
so Corydoras habrosus swims on the middle level and I have seen them too. they are very pretty and tiny. but well worth it!

You have seen them, but have you kept them? I have kept C. habrosus for several years and mine have always spent the majority of their time on the bottom.

Upside down catfish is a generic term that refers to many species. I am unsure of their compatibility with corydoras or their suitability for a 20g tank. Have you kept them?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
ak dylpickles
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.07.02(Fri)11:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes I have keept the upsie down cat. and it swims on all levels of the tank when it feels secure.
monstrosity
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.07.02(Fri)12:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

ak dylpickles wrote:
yes I have keept the upsie down cat. and it swims on all levels of the tank when it feels secure.

I confirm this.

29 G
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: