Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Fluorite + barbels = bad?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates  Reply to topic   Post new topic
deborah_claro
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.07.02(Fri)3:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Researching other species is always a good idea. Very Happy

Have you kept any of these Bettas yourself, ak dyl, and have you kept them with Corydoras?
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.07.02(Fri)4:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting ready to add Betta albimarginata to my 26g tank (waiting to hear back from Jun if she has any babies for me). Jun has told me that the conditions I have set up for my corydoras (lower temps, lots of current) would be perfect for the Albis, and that they will coexist peacefully. Smile I'm really looking forward to giving it a try... I may finally be able to combine my two favorite kinds of fish. Very Happy

Not sure about the imbellis... other than that they look an awful lot like the splendens and I'd want to be extra sure I was getting what I was paying for. I have heard a few betta people say that corydoras might actually be too boisterous for the very shy imbellis... but I have no personal experience.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
Barbels
Members

PostPosted: 2010.07.02(Fri)5:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for your time. I am reading everything offered to me and heeding all warnings.
That's so good to hear about the 48X13!Very Happy

I am more than happy to dismiss the idea of a Betta with my Corydoras. It breaks my heart to see any fish harassed. I have had a Betta in a 5
ak dylpickles
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.07.02(Fri)5:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had splendens before in a 29 gallon community before and it was fine. I will be getting a pair of betta imbellis this week and I'm thinking of keeping a dwarf cory species with it.

Quote:
Not sure about the imbellis... other than that they look an awful lot like the splendens and I'd want to be extra sure I was getting what I was paying for.

if you look online you can see that betta imbellis have 2 little neon blueish green stripes on there gill covers. betta splendens do not.
deborah_claro
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.07.02(Fri)11:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't seem as if anyone on this thread has had actual experience with Corydoras and Bettas together in the same tank. Am I wrong?
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.07.02(Fri)11:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

deborah_claro wrote:
It doesn't seem as if anyone on this thread has had actual experience with Corydoras and Bettas together in the same tank. Am I wrong?

Nikelodeon said one time that she tried to do it, but stopped because their water specifications are different.

29 G
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.07.03(Sat)12:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Betta splendens "sorority" (group of female bettas) with a few different groups of Corydoras species in a 55g... it ended very badly with most of the fish getting wiped out from columnaris. Betta sororities are notorious for disease, which is one reason why I no longer will keep bettas in this fashion.

I had a single male B. splendens with C. habrosus in a 10g (I also attempted a split 10g with a male betta on each side and tiny holes cut for the habrosus... I abandoned that idea because bettas can apparently get through holes much smaller than their own bodies Rolling Eyes). The corydoras were not very active and hid a lot... and the betta died from overeating (he'd always nab the cories' shrimp pellets).

In addition to the above problems, both species had to live outside their ideal temperature and water current requirements. The current was much too slow for the cories' liking, and the temp was too cool for the betta and too warm for the cories.

I do not have experience keeping any other Betta species, with or without corydoras.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
Cliff Mayes
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.07.03(Sat)12:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have kept B. splendens with various larger Cories with no problems over the years.
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: