Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Fish Intelligence
 Forum Index > Aquarium Science  Reply to topic   Post new topic
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.06.30(Wed)3:23    Post subject: Fish Intelligence Reply with quote

I thought this was interesting. Of course, most of us already know that our fish recognize us (or at least, the container of food Wink) and I've read of several people who have a fish that responds to people walking into the room. But for some reason, I'm strangely comforted by the fact that they remember things for longer than three seconds.

I like the argument in that article about them not being swimming vegetables, just because they don't have arms or legs doesn't mean they're stupid, or that they can't feel pain.
Fern
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.07.10(Sat)1:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a flowerhorn that is very smart, he would watch me dismantle a pile of rocks to get in there and siphon, and within moments of me putting it back together he was dismantling it. He also recognizes food he likes and does not like, if he likes what I have in hand he comes up to the top with his mouth open, if he doesn't like the food I picked up he will ignore me till I grab something else.
He will also follow a conversation. If 2 people are talking next to his tank he will watch whomever is talking and follow the conversation....Its really funny to watch.
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.07.10(Sat)2:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol Fern -- that makes me want a big smart fish. Very Happy He sounds like a character.
Fern
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.07.10(Sat)12:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy is he! Every time people who have met Fred come over they have to go say Hi and give him a pellet Very Happy
 Forum Index > Aquarium Science All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: