Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Pleco ID, please
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates  Reply to topic   Post new topic
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.06.24(Thu)7:22    Post subject: Pleco ID, please Reply with quote

I picked up this pleco at the LFS today. I almost trust this store to know what they're talking about (the lady who helped me was explaining to somebody the details of water changes and why smaller tanks aren't easier)... but I definitely know that ya'll do.

Anywho - she assured me this is a bristlenose, and I know they don't get their bushy noses until they're older, and this one is still a baby, but I just want to be sure that I didn't end up with a common or something (they all look the same to me.) He's been in the tank half an hour and has already started making a dent on the algae on that fake rock...

Can anybody confirm that this is a baby bristlenose?

I took that with my phone -- I'll take a better one with a real camera later if needed. (Its dead at the moment is all)
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2010.06.24(Thu)10:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep...the photo is good enough to tell that it's a young bristlenose and you can rest assured that it won't grow beyond 10-15 cm. Note that the large bristles will only develop if it's a male though...

Success with a fish/tank is measured in YEARS, not months or weeks...
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.06.24(Thu)11:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcos Avila wrote:
Yep...the photo is good enough to tell that it's a young bristlenose and you can rest assured that it won't grow beyond 10-15 cm. Note that the large bristles will only develop if it's a male though...

Excellent! Thanks Marcos Smile

I'm not concerned about the bristles or anything. I just wanted to be sure it wouldn't grow too big for my tank. And my husband really likes plecos, so this should keep him happy. Smile

Once he's finished off the algae in the tank, is switching between algae wafers and cucumber slices sufficient, or should I add more variety?
susankatomerit
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.06.24(Thu)11:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would give zucchini instead of cucumbers as it has more nutritional value and they really love them. But only give them a little a couple times a week. I have several bristlenose and not one of them will eat the algae wafers but I give them spirulina sticks and they really go for them. Make sure you have a piece of wood in the tank also as they do like to rasp on them.
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.06.24(Thu)11:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. I'll pick up some zucchini at the store next week then Smile Do the vegetables need to be blanched, or is raw OK?

Spirulina sticks. I'll locate some of those as well. Thank you for that recommendation. Smile

I knew about the driftwood, so I made sure I had some in there before even considering buying a bristlenose. Out of curiosity - what do they get from the wood? Do they eat at it, or just "suck" on it or something?
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.06.24(Thu)12:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blanch them, they need it soft to make it easier for them to eat...or at least thats what I think...
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.06.24(Thu)12:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think blanching is just a matter of opinion, I peel mine and don't blanch and they do a job on it. As for it being softened for them to eat, if that was the case they wouldn't rasp on wood as its hard.

Spirulina sticks I have to order mine online from kens fish. Best prices around for a pound of food, but does have smaller packs.
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.06.24(Thu)13:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try it without blanching it, and see how it goes, then.

Thanks all! Cool
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.06.24(Thu)13:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried not blanching once, they didn't even touch it Confused
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.06.24(Thu)13:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caton wrote:
I tried not blanching once, they didn't even touch it Confused

Hahaha - trial and error by individual fish, perhaps. Smile I'll see how it goes with mine.
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: