Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Styrofoam under a 135 gallon tank - question
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Reply to topic   Post new topic
farmgirl
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.06.20(Sun)0:38    Post subject: Styrofoam under a 135 gallon tank - question Reply with quote

I'm setting up my 135 gallon (6 feet by 18 1/2" wide) tank this week. I have 1/2" styrofoam to put under it .. is that the correct size styrofoam?
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2010.06.20(Sun)9:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

1/2" is pretty thick... it's likely OK if it's the kind that won't compress much. You just want to make sure it doesn't compress and press on the underside of the tank itself (glass)
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.06.20(Sun)13:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the point of the styrofoam? Confused
farmgirl
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.06.21(Mon)4:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many people put a flat piece of styrofoam under the edges of their fishtank to help distribute the weight evenly. If the wood on the top of the tank stand is uneven at all it's possible for the tank to bend or even break under the pressure of the uneven surface of the stand. Having the styrofoam under it gives the tank the ability to crush down in one spot that might be higher than another spot; thus leveling it out to a completely flat surface.

Does that make sense?

It's just an added safeguard - generally people do it with really large tanks but I even put it under my smaller tanks.

We are making the stand for this 135 gln. tank so we want to be extra careful about it being completely flat.
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.06.21(Mon)4:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

farmgirl wrote:
Many people put a flat piece of styrofoam under the edges of their fishtank to help distribute the weight evenly. If the wood on the top of the tank stand is uneven at all it's possible for the tank to bend or even break under the pressure of the uneven surface of the stand. Having the styrofoam under it gives the tank the ability to crush down in one spot that might be higher than another spot; thus leveling it out to a completely flat surface.

Does that make sense?

Oh, wow. That makes perfect sense! This is good to know, for when I get a larger tank!! Smile
Vertebraillemery
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.08.01(Sun)3:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where would one get this styrofoam? Does it need to be the exact size of the tanks bottom, or does it sit under the edges with an open space in the middle?
Darkblade48
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.08.01(Sun)8:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would get a large sheet of styrofoam that is cut to the dimensions of the bottom of the aquarium.
UncleWillie
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.09.28(Tue)11:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your local home improvement store should have it (Lowes, Home Depot). The board I suggest is that pink, insulation foam board. It is already thin, easy to cut (and cut neatly). And spare pieces never go to waste (can be used it to line cardboard boxes when shipping fishes/plants).
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: