Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Cory Q
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Kaitswyn
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.06.19(Sat)12:54    Post subject: Cory Q Reply with quote

Does the entire tank need to be sand for cories or just part of it? TY!
deborah_claro
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.06.20(Sun)1:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, as much of the tank as possible should be devoted to sand. An all-sand tank of soft, fine sand is best for corys. The sand bed should be shallow, about 2 cm deep, and the grains should be rounded - like salt.

What other substrate were you thinking of?
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.06.20(Sun)6:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently have gravel. Been considering adding a few cories, but wasn't sure if I would need to replace all of the substrate or just part of it.
monstrosity
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.06.21(Mon)14:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not necessary to remove all of it, but much better if possible. What kind of gravel do you have???? Not all gravel is bad for cories.

29 G
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.06.21(Mon)23:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

monstrosity wrote:
Not necessary to remove all of it, but much better if possible. What kind of gravel do you have???? Not all gravel is bad for cories.

It's an endless debate but I disagree. I'd never have cories in anything other than small grained, smooth sand. Smile There are many who feel differently.... but I've seen a vast difference in behavior and quality of life with sand.

I'd recommend switching out the entire substrate. Not only will it be better for the cories, it will be nicer in the long run. Substrates tend to mix no matter what kind of barrier you put up, so you'll end up with a messy looking tank with mixed sand and gravel.

I've switched out substrates with the fish still in the tank... simply drop the water level down, remove the decor (leaving some one one half of the tank for the fish to hide in), and take out the gravel on half of the tank. Move the decor over to the now empty side of the tank, and remove the rest of the gravel. Make sure your sand has been thoroughly rinsed beforehand, and add it the same way you removed the gravel (first on one half of the tank, then on the other).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.06.22(Tue)1:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

nikelodeon79 wrote:
've switched out substrates with the fish still in the tank... simply drop the water level down, remove the decor (leaving some one one half of the tank for the fish to hide in), and take out the gravel on half of the tank. Move the decor over to the now empty side of the tank, and remove the rest of the gravel. Make sure your sand has been thoroughly rinsed beforehand, and add it the same way you removed the gravel (first on one half of the tank, then on the other).

I thought it was recommended to do it slowly so that you don't lose a large chunk of your bacteria?
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.06.22(Tue)1:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can always add a second seeded filter Smile
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.06.22(Tue)4:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

rales12 wrote:
I thought it was recommended to do it slowly so that you don't lose a large chunk of your bacteria?

I've never had a problem, and I've switched out plenty of tanks. I've even switched out a 4 foot 55g tank in a single day and haven't had any ammonia or nitrite issues. My filter has always been able to keep up.

I could never manage to figure out how to do a partial switch cleanly... the gravel and sand would always mix at some point. Plus, it seemed less stressful for the fish to have it over with all in one go, rather than multiple disturbances.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.06.22(Tue)5:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

nikelodeon79 wrote:
rales12 wrote:

I've never had a problem, and I've switched out plenty of tanks. I've even switched out a 4 foot 55g tank in a single day and haven't had any ammonia or nitrite issues. My filter has always been able to keep up.

I could never manage to figure out how to do a partial switch cleanly... the gravel and sand would always mix at some point. Plus, it seemed less stressful for the fish to have it over with all in one go, rather than multiple disturbances.

Alright... Good to know, should I ever decide to switch mine out. Smile
Kaitswyn
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.06.22(Tue)5:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, good to know. I am still undecided as to whether I am going to go with Cories or not. Though it seems they are the only bottom dwellers compatible with my tank size/current fish
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: