Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Centerpiece Fish???
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Reply to topic   Post new topic
truestar
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.06.17(Thu)5:54    Post subject: Centerpiece Fish??? Reply with quote

Haven't been posting lately, but still visit the forums daily.

Anyways, I have a 75 gallon saltwater tank with a 29 gallon sump that has been running since November, but it's only had fish and inverts for about 5 months. No real problems have arisen, all my levels are in check(0ppm Ammonia, 0ppm Nitrite, <=5ppm Nitrate, pH 8.2), and the fish are doing great. Later today I'll finally get around to setting up the light for my in-sump refugium which contains some Caulerpa for nutrient export, although I may change that out for Chaeto later on. Right now the tank contains 2 Percula Clowns, 6 Green Chromis, a Cleaner Shrimp, and numerous snails and Hermit Crabs.

So when I originally made up my stocking list it looked something like this:

1 Pair Percula Clowns
7 Green Chromis
1 Yellow Watchman's Goby
1 Royal Gramma
1 Flame Angel
1 Yellow Tang

That's what I thought I'd get for my tank back during the planning phase.

Since then, I've decided against adding the Yellow Tang, as I believe that although it could be kept in a 75 gallon tank, it deserves more room than my 4' tank allows it. So the Tang is out. I'm also on the rocks about the Flame Angel, as this will soon be turning into a reef tank, I've heard that it's VERY hit or miss with these fish in reefs. So if any of you have had personal experiences keeping this fish with corals I'd love to hear it.

What I'm getting at here is that I would really enjoy having a REEF SAFE centerpiece fish that could live comfortably in a tank of this size. Just recently I came across a picture of Siganus argenteus in an older issue of Aquarium Fish International, but unfortunately they didn't even mention the fish in the article. I've since been looking online trying to find some sort of information on it, but I've come up almost empty handed. I'm really hoping someone on here with knowledge of this species could give me a hand. Also, feel free to toss out suggestions for a centerpiece fish if you, like me, don't have info on the previously mentioned Rabbitfish.

P.S I didn't want to start another thread just for this quick question. I'm running a 216W HO T5 system from Odyssea, and was wondering if that is enough lighting to keep Softies and LPS corals? I have very little interest if any in keeping SPS, so I was wondering if this light would be adequate, or if I'll have to wind up getting something from AH Supply after all. Thanks again guys.
ak dylpickles
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.06.17(Thu)6:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

instead of a flame angel you could have a flameback angel. these only get to around 2-3 inches and are reef safe. all so good idea on passing on the yellow tang. allso I think your tank will be a little over stocked. but I will let some other people coment on that. what kinds of filtration will you have? how much live rock are you going to have?

Last edited by ak dylpickles on 2010.06.17(Thu)6:32; edited 1 time in total
truestar
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.06.17(Thu)6:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
you might want to do a pair of clowns instead of 1.

I currently have 2 Percula Clowns, they get along fine, but I'm not sure if they paired up yet.

Quote:
all so instead of a flame angel you could have a flameback angel. these only get to around 2-3 inches and are reef safe.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll definitely look into it.

Quote:
allso I think your tank will be a little over stocked. but I will let some other people coment on that. what size sump do you have?

All the fish I'm planning on getting are quite small(most under 4"), but I will definitely leave out fish if my levels start getting higher than I like, the health of the fish and corals I have is top priority. Also, my sump is made out of 29 gallon tank, but only has about 15-16 gallons of water.
ak dylpickles
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.06.17(Thu)6:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops I didn't read the pair part for the clowns I though you ment only 1 Embarassed all so just because all the fish you have are under 4 inches doesn't mean you can have a bunch. all so you have to remember how territorial these fish are. clown fish are still damsels so they can be pretty mean if the tank is over stocked. what are you going to do for the skimmer and how much live rock will you have?
truestar
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.06.17(Thu)6:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
all so just because all the fish you have are under 4 inches doesn't mean you can have a bunch. all so you have to remember how territorial these fish are. clown fish are still damsels so they can be pretty mean if the tank is over stocked.

I don't foresee a problem with the Clownfish. They have yet to show any type of aggression towards my Chromis school, they actually spend almost the whole day schooling with them. The tank also has plenty of live rock and caves to help break up aggression and give the fish places to hide if they feel the need. Also, since the Goby will spend the majority of it's time on and around the sand bed, I doubt it will really have the opportunity to cause problems with the other fish. The only fish that may cause problems would be the Angel or Royal Gramma.
Quote:
what are you going to do for the skimmer and how much live rock will you have?
This tank has been running for almost 8 months, I've been running an Aqua-C Urchin that's driven by a Maxi-Jet 1200(may upgrade it to a Mag 3 or 5, can't remember which). I currently have about 90-100lbs of sand, and 75-80lbs of live rock. I'll probably get another 20-30lbs of rock though.
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2010.06.18(Fri)10:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Flame Angel is at least worth a try.
They have the color and impact to be a true centerpiece specimen in my opinion, they have proven hardy enough to be captive reared in some facilities, and some specimens do quite well in reef systems with very little problems. Of course, there are no guarantees. Very Happy More here:
http://www.aquahobby.com/marine/e_loriculus.php
truestar
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.06.19(Sat)14:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input FloridaBoy.

They no doubt have the looks and attitude to be a centerpiece, I was just a little worried that it wouldn't be able to resist the corals. I'll most likely give it a shot. My LFS usually has some in, and I believe I've even seen them house some of them in their coral & invert tanks, so maybe I can get one that's used to being around corals and doesn't view them as only a snack. Smile It'll probably be another 5-8 months before I attempt one though, want to make sure that there's enough algae in the display to support one, I've got a nice bunch of Caulerpa growing in there now along with even more in the fuge. Plus, being that it'd be the biggest potential bully, I'd like to add it to the tank last, or second to last.
ak dylpickles
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.06.19(Sat)14:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

have fun trying to get him out if he does start to pick on the corals! Wink
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2010.06.20(Sun)0:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick word of warning on Caulerpa; it is prone to sudden die-off, when it can release dangerous toxins into your system. Certainly it can work for nutrient export, but if not aggressively maintained the results can be bad. Aquarists have seen some massive livestock losses due to this problem. Look to Chaetomorpha and Gracilaria as better alternatives.
More info here:
These links will get you started:
http://www.reefland.com/rho/0105/main2.php
http://www.reefcorner.com/SpecimenSheets/caulerpa.htm
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: