Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
New to Cichlids
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > The Best of the Board  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Max
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.21(Thu)14:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it have to be a breeding pair as much as I like the idea of breeding fish I think I would prefer different kinds of fish insteadso could I have one of each of the americans I mentiond?
Max
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.22(Fri)19:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were to raise the convicts from about an inch would it be posible to have them with other fish?
JewelsRCute
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.23(Sat)22:59    Post subject: he Reply with quote

Danios are fast, but their not THAT fast. African cichlids are super fast compaired to american. I don't think many american cichlids could catch them but my africans would have some danio snacks in no time. I have 2 jewel cichlids and 2 auratus in a 29 gallon. I had others but they were beaten to a pulp by the jewels. I find that the fish are nice until you put the same type of fish in and they make a pair then they gang up on all of the other fish. My jewel was friendly but then I bought a partner. They are super mean now. but americans are definitly friendlier than africans. I had a blood parrot, jack dempsey, and pink/painted convict together and they got along fine. The dempsey would have to be traded in eventually because they get too big but have you ever thought of maby a blood parrot tank? they come in lots of colors and bright reds, mine had a grey body with black stripes but I've seen them dyed green and pink. Purple parrots are a very bright red. Beautiful.
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2003.08.23(Sat)23:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, and purple and green and blue blood parrots are painfully injected with DYE to look so "beautiful."

I don't think beauty should come at that price.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger AIM Address
JewelsRCute
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.23(Sat)23:59    Post subject: gv Reply with quote

Yes I know, I think it's mean too but the purple ones are natural right? I also don't like the glass fish that they dye either. Fish are naturally beautiful and don't need to be dyed. I was just saying that they do dye them. Lime green, neon purple and pink.
Max
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.24(Sun)0:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked blood parrots until I found out they were a freek species bred so poorly that they can't evan close there mouth now I think I want to stay away from them.
Cyradia
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2003.08.24(Sun)7:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Max wrote:
I liked blood parrots until I found out they were a freek species bred so poorly that they can't evan close there mouth now I think I want to stay away from them.

Amen. Additionally, the purple ones are not natural.

Also, JewelsRCute, convicts are American cichlids, not African. If you read through the entire thread Max had decided on American cichlids.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.24(Sun)23:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any way off the subject of parrots and back to the qustion if I were to have a convict, a thread finned and a Altispinosa together in a 38?
Tommy
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.08.25(Mon)8:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Max, it's possible, but any time you are dealing with convicts, there are no guarantees. I've had one in the past who was so agressive that he would not allow any tankmates in a 29g. This came after he killed his female mating partner.

Overall, I would recommend against it. Convicts are best kept either with species, or in a larger tank with larger fish who have the same temperment. There are many other medium sized fish that I would choose over convicts (firemouth, acara, salvini, T. helleri, etc...)
Max
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.26(Tue)19:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

One last qustion would it be posible to keep a pair of convicts and an earth eater in a 38 or would the earth eater get to big?
 Forum Index > The Best of the Board All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: