Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
An update on me & my critters (fish included)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Reply to topic   Post new topic
ak dylpickles
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.06.16(Wed)4:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

woo thanks fern!
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.06.16(Wed)6:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cliff Mayes wrote:
A big Dog can withstand a small person very nicely but a small breed cannot. A child falling on a big Dog can be funny but a small Dog can sustain a bone fracture or pain. The only way that a Dog can fight back is by appealing to a nearby Human or with its teeth which is a no no.

It is funny to watch a mother Dog breaking up a litter fight by just flipping the overly aggressive puppy on its back, holding it and the offending puppy screams as if it is being harmed. It almost tragic to have a Dog doing what comes naturally, or at least what it was taught, suffer from the consequences of normal behavior. Humans do not have fur to protect from teeth and claws so what to a Dog is normal chastisement can become tragic to the family. Some breeds are very aggressive and should not be left around children especially non family members. It only takes an instant for a tragedy to occur.

I read (I think it was) the 1998 AKC Gazette where the number of Rotts was 109,000 where it probably should have been around 1,900. This is not to pick on Rotts but simply as an illustration of breed that I am familiar with. Every Bozo that I knew was trying to protect a stash and/or thought they were going to get rich selling Puppies was breeding Rotts. Protecting a stash may or may not be a requirement but Dog Show Sport is a very costly Hobby if it is done right and except for very few, selling puppies sucks as a business. All of the Rotts that I have ever met have been nice and gentle although these have been Show Dogs that are used to being handled by strangers. I would be leery of any mistreated Dog or a Rott that is a generation or two away from being flock guards. Approaching any strange Dog, out of common courtesy (for the Dog,) cautiously just makes good sense. Any Dog under the correct circumstances can be overly aggressive. So have a care; even smaller breeds can be harmful if not handled properly.

GREAT post. I can't even tell you how many people come on the various dog forums and post, "Help, my dog bit my child!" Upon questioning, the distraught parent will admit that the child was allowed to jump on the dog, pull its ears, poke its eyes, etc. A dog can only take so much abuse before it takes it upon itself to correct the offending little "pup." Children should be taught to respect dogs just as dogs should be taught to respect children. It's not fair to the dog to correct him every time he growls at a child if said child is allowed to disrespect the dog all the time.

Rotts (and many other breeds) are horrendously overbred. They are a breed very prone to illness... and those BYBs (backyard breeders) churning out puppies aren't doing any sort of heath testing, and the fact that they are breeding them bigger than standard only adds to health problems. My Rott was adopted from a breed rescue, and most certainly comes from a BYB. He has elbow dysplasia, liver/kidney issues, digestive issues, ear issues... the list goes on. We've spent approximately $7,500 in vet bills on him and we haven't even had him a year yet.... all because someone decided it would be a good idea to breed unhealthy stock.

Before I joined online dog communities, I knew nothing of BYBs. I'd heard of puppymills... but didn't realize those people who think it's "fun" to breed their pets are are often condemning them (and other dogs in shelters) to death. Crying or Very sad I have nothing against reputable breeders (those who show/compete, health test, require contracts, take back their puppies if the buyer cannot keep it for any reason, etc. etc. etc.), but if a person is making money on breeding... they are likely not breeding for the right reasons.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
Cliff Mayes
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.06.16(Wed)6:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen!

The number of times that I have been told that "My child does not abuse animals.' are many. It is true that the most dangerous place to be is between a Mother and her child.

Always the first question I have when a Dog bites someone is "What did the person do?" but as much as I love Dogs I will be the first to put a vicious animal down.
Fern
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.06.16(Wed)9:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

It takes a lot to get my toy shiatsu (sp?) to bite and then its a warning nip. So when my kids come to me saying they got bit my first question is "what did you do to her?" and then "You know not to do that, that's why she bit you" Usually followed by "Go to your room and think about what you did"
She has only drawn blood and that was on me once and I promptly but her back and that was the end of that Laughing
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.06.17(Thu)3:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fern wrote:
my toy shiatsu (sp?)

Fern, you made me giggle. Laughing I think you mean Shih tzu. Shiatsu is a type of massage or massager. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
Fern
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.06.17(Thu)9:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing ya I meant the dog Laughing Spell check was working against me Laughing
Topper
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.06.17(Thu)12:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cliff wrote:

Quote:
Anyone who claims to know what causes an animal to do certain things is delusional. As much as we observe various animals and begin to think we know what makes them tick we get surprised.

On this point, I couldn't disagree more. ALL animals are VERY predictable - it's people who are surprising in their actions and reactions (and in most cases - stupidity). We insert ourselves into situations that we cannot control and when an animal acts naturally, we say it was unpredictable and shocking. This is horse manure. Snake bites, dog bites, Killer Whale attacks a trainer, shark attacks, spider bites, lions mauling trainers, "domesticated" chimpanzees running amok in suburbia and injuring people, bear attacks, mountain lions attacking hikers, house cats scratching a child, alligators eating pets, bee stings, etc., etc., etc... All are very natural occurrences and are easily predicted and avoided with an ounce of common sense. I often shake my head at the apathy and surprise mankind consistently demonstrates whenever animals act like animals. My response is now the same for every one I hear... "What did you expect would happen"?
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.06.18(Fri)14:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Topper wrote:
Cliff wrote:

Quote:
Anyone who claims to know what causes an animal to do certain things is delusional. As much as we observe various animals and begin to think we know what makes them tick we get surprised.

On this point, I couldn't disagree more. ALL animals are VERY predictable - it's people who are surprising in their actions and reactions (and in most cases - stupidity). We insert ourselves into situations that we cannot control and when an animal acts naturally, we say it was unpredictable and shocking. This is horse manure. Snake bites, dog bites, Killer Whale attacks a trainer, shark attacks, spider bites, lions mauling trainers, "domesticated" chimpanzees running amok in suburbia and injuring people, bear attacks, mountain lions attacking hikers, house cats scratching a child, alligators eating pets, bee stings, etc., etc., etc... All are very natural occurrences and are easily predicted and avoided with an ounce of common sense. I often shake my head at the apathy and surprise mankind consistently demonstrates whenever animals act like animals. My response is now the same for every one I hear... "What did you expect would happen"?

I agree, Topper.

Its as though we humans expect that domesticating (or even just existing on the same Earth as) animals should make them behave more like humans, and have our morals and ways of life.

I think of it like this: when my husband is picking at me (verbally) or whatever, and he starts to get annoying, I usually snap at him (verbally). If my son is pulling ears, trying to put his fingers in eyes, and sitting on their heads (which I can only imagine is highly annoying)... obviously, the dogs are going to get annoyed. They can't pronounce, "STOP!" so a light snarl or abruptly getting up and walking away is essentially the same thing. Which is why I don't really scold the dogs for being dogs.

A lot of people get mad at me when I say this - but I don't deserve life any more than any other creature on this planet, and that includes dogs, spiders, fish (Laughing), snakes... coyotes, wolves, bears, etc.

I was watching something on Animal Planet the other day about people having chimps as pets. (I've seen several similar programs since that lady got her face eaten off by a chimp, actually) and in every single show about chimps, they strongly emphasize how violent and powerful chimps are in the wild. Just because these people (stupidly, IMO) think they can keep a lone chimp as a pet, doesn't mean that that chimp doesn't still have its natural instincts. In the wild, groups of chimps go at each other, kill each other, and then cannibalize the losing group. WHY would anybody ever expect a chimp to behave otherwise in their house? Because they wear clothes?
katienaha
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.06.19(Sat)9:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

My over-ambitious dog was out camping with us, and MANY MANY friends at a 4x4 event, and there were tons of kids around. So many of the kids wanted "a turn" at walking my dog, or throwing a stick, etc etc etc that eventually, despite the energy levels of my dog, her eyes grew weary. (I could not believe her patience!)
I crushed a lot of little kids dreams for the next hour when I "forced" my dog to lay beside me so she could have a break from "Asher, get the stick! Asher, over here! Asher....!!!"

By the end of the 4 day camping trip, the parents of the kids, and myself, couldnt figure out who should be paying who some money for taking care of the other's precious family members! My dog was kept exercised and happy, and the kids were never far from the dog.

She wowed me with her patience. I didn't believe she could be so forgiving. Even those 2 year olds who can only throw the stick a foot in front of them.. she'd get the stick, and bring it right back to the same 2 year old. (I would think most dogs would choose a kid who could throw farther!)
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.06.20(Sun)2:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our dogs grab the stick and run!
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Jump to: