Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
SAE Question
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
xiphias
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.06.10(Thu)10:21    Post subject: SAE Question Reply with quote

Hey guys,

Quick question. I had a 55 gallon planted community tank, but couldn't bring it with when we relocated to an apartment. I only had 3 small fish and 2 SAEs in the tank, so when we moved I just set up, cycled and planted my 10 gallon until I could figure out what to do with the fish. That's been about 2-3 months ago. So at this point they all seem to be doing fine-- everybody's eating well, maintaining good energy levels, and acting normally. I'm really attached to the SAEs-- I got them when they were very tiny (much smaller than neons) and they seem happy together (they're about 2 1/2 inches long now) .

My question is: Should I keep them in this set-up unless they show signs of stress? Or should I take a risk on giving them away to somebody who has a bigger tank, but maybe doesn't know so much about fish-keeping? (I'm having a hard time locating someone that I trust to give them to). At this point they live in a well-maintained, well-planted, but too-small tank... Which would be the most ethical decision?
Thanks!
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.06.10(Thu)18:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

They probably already stunted unless you purchased them just before the move. I've had these grow from an inch to four inches within a year.

Best option is find someone with a large planted tank and you may have success with a Craigslist ad.
xiphias
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.06.11(Fri)2:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased them long before the move. I've had them for 2-3 years now and, up until about 2 months ago, they have lived their entire lives in a planted 55-gallon community (at least, since they were about a quarter of an inch long when I bought them).

OK. Just measured one and I was mistaken, they're closer to 3 1/2 - 4 inches long Embarassed

Thanks!
farmgirl
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.07.02(Fri)9:28    Post subject: SAEs Reply with quote

I think they would be much happier in a much larger tank. I've had my 2 SAEs in my 55 gln. for over four years now and they use the entire tank.
Spuds
Members

PostPosted: 2010.07.15(Thu)21:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I deffinatly think you should rehome them. I have 4 of these guys in my 211gal and within half a year they were already nearly 4". they are pretty active fish so a large tank is better.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: