Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
10 gallon saltwater aquarium
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
jdrock!!
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.06.06(Sun)7:53    Post subject: 10 gallon saltwater aquarium Reply with quote

hello,
I've been with freshwater fish for almost about 13 years now and I deserve a change. I currently work in a pet store specializing in freshwater aquariums/fishes. now I want to learn and start a saltwater aquarium. I currently own 4 aquariums now a 5, 10, 30, and 90. my 90 gallons is empty as well as my 10. I need to economize some money in order to set up a beautiful 90 gallon saltwater aquarium. but before I do I would like to start with my 10 gallons. I know most of you will say that this is crazy because they say start with about a 30 to 40 gallon. bigger is better. I am aware that the 10 gallon will be a lot of maintenance but I am up for the challenge.

so here is my questions:

1. kind of fish?
2. T8 lighting system fit for one neon---marine glow, power glow, or life glow
3. filtration---aquaclear
4. bioballs?
5. powerhead?
6. skimmer?
7.livesand or crushed coral
8. water changes? per week? month?
9. heater---27 degrees celcius?

I no I am missing some stuff but any feedback, comments or other questions to help me get started would be greatly appreciated.
thanks you

ps: if anyone has a 20 gallon or less saltwater aquarium please post some pics which would be really helpful for me
ak dylpickles
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.06.06(Sun)9:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

lets see. first of all a 10 gallon will be really hard and you might destroy your tank, and kill your fish. the only fish I would recommend are the smaller varieties. http://www.LiveAquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=15+2124 these are all nano fish. but remember that a 29 gallon tank is considered a nano too. most people recommend for a beginner to have this rule 1 inch of fish per 5 gallons.

you don't really need a skimmer for a nano but it would be a good option. you might want to build a sump or buy one they give you a bigger water volume and hide all your equipment.

crushed coral or live sand. crushed coral is good because it will raise the pH of the water. saltwater needs a pH of 8.2. live sand. don't bother buying it from petco or any where else. just buy regular sand. its cheaper and most pet store will sell it around 10 cents to a dollar a pound.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: