Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Non-Fish-Keepers
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Reply to topic   Post new topic
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.06.05(Sat)4:37    Post subject: Non-Fish-Keepers Reply with quote

Its my son's birthday (well, Wednesday was, today is his party) and his grandparents are wanting to buy him a fish for his birthday (mostly, his granddad just wants to buy a fish, and this seems like the perfect excuse). So they go to WalMart and OH MY GOSH, LOOK! GLOFISH! THESE LOOK SO NATURAL AND, well, they're small! Lets call and see if they're OK!

*ring ring* (Husband answers)

I hear: "He's got a female betta. The tank is basically ten gallons (O.o). Let me ask her."

..."Can they get him glofish?"

Me: NO. Tank is WAY too small. Six gallons.

Him, into phone: "She said no. Tank is too small I guess." (Disappointment is evident on both ends of phone. Something else is mumbled and they hang up.)

Now... husband won't speak to me. Rolling Eyes

Yesterday, he got mad at me because I wouldn't buy Celestial Pearl Danios for my 46 gallons, because they're TINY and I had these images of them being sucked up in my filter. Then he got mad because I wouldn't get GloFish... and then again because I didn't buy him all the fancy guppies that he wanted. Apparently neon dwarf rainbowfish aren't colorful enough for him (he even said they're UGLY. What?)... He just wants GloFish and neons and cardinals.

Anybody else have to deal with stuff like this from their husbands/wives/children/family? I know that, prior to getting a tank, I really thought it was "Fill with water and just add fish! It'll all work out!", so I know that they think that, too... But I wish they wouldn't act like its my fault when I tell them I can't have Bala sharks in a 46 gallon, or GloFish in a 6 gallon. Or they act like I'm an idiot who doesn't know what I'm talking about. Mad (Which, in depth, I don't. But I do know which fish I can't have in my tanks).
59FIFTY
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.06.05(Sat)5:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my cousins come over for my big brothers high school graduation and the only one with a tank (Carson and his older sister Kelsey {they are both in collage}) said (Carson)- If I had this tank I would have a bunch of guppies and breed them like I do in my 10 gallon, Because they don't lay eggs, they give live fish. I said being nice, I might do that! It sounds fun!
(Kelsey)-You need a suckerfish because it will clean all of that nasty green stuff out of the tank. (I have no green algae...)
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.06.05(Sat)7:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my eleventh birthday my Aunt and Uncle turned up with a fish for me.

They were really pleased with themselves and had spent a lot of money on buying this fish from a shop I wouldn't have given any custom.
We all piled in my dad's car to go to the store to return it right away. They had told the shop owner I had big tanks with big round flat fish.

They had been sold a scat to go with my breeding discus!

The shop did give a refund - helped that when I walked in there was one of the their breeder suppliers bringing in some swordtails who greeted me with "how are those red turquiose fry growing - can't wait to have some." (or words to that effect - it was a loooong time ago_
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.06.05(Sat)13:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha - 59, my husband does that, too! As soon as he sees a SPECK of algae, he's like, "We need to get a pleco!" I finally got so annoyed that I told him if we can find a bristlenose, we can get that, but I'm not getting a common pleco unless he wants to buy a 100+ gallon tank for it!

Diademhill - I guess they got it partially right. Rolling Eyes Though... looks like scat fish need the exact opposite water conditions of a breeding discus. Haha... I've been trying to convince my in-laws and my husband that if they want to get me (or my son!) fish for birthdays/Christmas... they can come with and buy whatever I pick out or they can just give me a gift card of some kind. The breeder talking about your fry is hilarious!! I think fish store owners of less-than-perfect fish stores know that they can't mess around with somebody who knows what they are doing/talking about.

My father-in-law wanted to buy me a single bala shark for Christmas this year. I'm still somewhat amazed that he didn't go out and buy me one. Rolling Eyes
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.06.05(Sat)15:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

My parents simply say; "OKay", or they just say "I thought fish grow to the size of their tank"
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.06.05(Sat)23:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buying any pet for anybody is almost always a bad thing. Do not do it. Buying a pet is extremely subjective and personal and usually will end up bad for either one or the other. Pets can live a long time. While using a pet as a gift can leave you with a warm and fuzzy feeling it can be hell for the pet or owner.
59FIFTY
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.06.06(Sun)1:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

"They just grow to the size of the tank!" Biggest lie EVER!!! IMO! I was at petco one day and a lady bought her daughter a little mermaid 5 gallon aquarium. I told her that a betta would be the best thing. The lady working said no, you should get some neon tetras for it. and I said I picked up the last ones yesterday! she said oh well then just get a gold fish they are pretty! I said WHAT NO!!! That will out grow that tank so fast and get huge!!! and the fish store lady said they will only grow to the size of teh tank.! I believe the tank buyer bought some glofish... since they are colorful and active... I now wish I could go back and tell her not to buy any fish for about a month anyways...
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.06.06(Sun)2:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cliff Mayes wrote:
Buying any pet for anybody is almost always a bad thing. Do not do it. Buying a pet is extremely subjective and personal and usually will end up bad for either one or the other. Pets can live a long time. While using a pet as a gift can leave you with a warm and fuzzy feeling it can be hell for the pet or owner.

I agree. They didn't end up buying him a fish - I think they were mad at me for saying no to the GloFish. XD If they want to buy him animals... they'd do better to get plastic or cotton-stuffed. Cool I did say they can buy "my son" a bigger fish tank, if they want... He could really use a ten gallon....... But that didn't happen. Crying or Very sad Hehe

I imagine that at least my mother-in-law was searching for that 'warm&fuzzy' feeling. She's on a mission to buy my kid anything that'll make him love her most. Rolling Eyes

We have some friends that have fish tanks. They've got a 55 gallon with a common pleco, an oscar, two parrot cichlids, and an african dwarf frog. Last time I was there, all the fish looked a little sad, and the water had evaporated down by three or four inches... I didn't even want to know the last time they'd done a water change. The oscar is almost as long as the tank is deep (front to back). Augh...

When I was first setting up my big tank, my first tank, the husband came over and was looking at all the stuff I had spread out all over the house. Then he told me how, once a year or so, he puts his fish in buckets and empties all the water out and cleans the tank in the bath tub. I was like, "You shouldn't do that. All the research I've done says you should do 20% weekly water changes instead." He just looked at me like, pfft. Like she knows what she's talking about...

They also have a ten gallon with three baby goldfish in it. They're tiny little goldfish... but they won't stay that way for long. The other day, she came over and was looking at my son's 6 gallon and said, "You can put more than just a betta in there. You know that, right?" I just said, "Yeah. He's got snails, too. Its good. Smile"
"I always buy my kids goldfish."
...I know you do. >_<
Cliff Mayes
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.06.06(Sun)3:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have learned the most important point of all this. Keep quiet! People either don't want to or cannot hear what you are trying to tell them anyway, so save your breath. This is difficult when you see fish condemned to an early death and/or a miserable existence. Goldfish and Cories are probably the most misunderstood and picked on species maybe joined by Betta splendens and Oscars.
monstrosity
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.06.06(Sun)8:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fish do stop growing once they are too big for their home, but they keep growing internally, which is the cause of death.

29 G
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to: