Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
wood with bark?
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
haphazzard
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.05.26(Wed)14:54    Post subject: wood with bark? Reply with quote

OK so I'm out hiking and see this stump(root ball?) that has been washed out of the edge of a creek and think, that would look sweet in a big ole 125 gallon tank so I grab a saw trim it down and get it soaking. The tree was about 6 inches thick and dry enough to burn but still has the bark on it. I'm guessing that the bark will come off in time, but could this cause any problems I'm not thinking of? Anybody tried something like this with success, or ill effects?
Darkblade48
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.05.26(Wed)15:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bark will rot in your aquarium, so it is best to remove all of it before trying to use it in an aquarium.
katienaha
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.05.27(Thu)2:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

soaking will help the bark release from the wood. if you have access to a sandblaster........ Idea
Fern
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.05.27(Thu)9:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

some bark is fine, just pull it out as it sheds off
haphazzard
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.05.28(Fri)12:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fern wrote:
some bark is fine, just pull it out as it sheds off

That is what I figured, I'll let it soak untill I get the tank set up (probly a few weeks or so) than power wash it again and go from there.
LMCarroll
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.05.29(Sat)1:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the ammonia in the soaking water after you've soaked it for a few weeks. We just collected a bunch of drift wood for our tank and have had to get rid of some of the pieces. Some of the pieces with bark on them were OK after we removed it but others were just rotting in the water.

ETA: Also I'm super jealous of your root ball, we've been looking hard for one but so far no luck!
haphazzard
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.05.29(Sat)9:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

LMCarroll wrote:
Check the ammonia in the soaking water after you've soaked it for a few weeks. We just collected a bunch of drift wood for our tank and have had to get rid of some of the pieces. Some of the pieces with bark on them were OK after we removed it but others were just rotting in the water.

ETA: Also I'm super jealous of your root ball, we've been looking hard for one but so far no luck!

Yeah I just tried an ammonia test and its off the charts after soaking for a little more than a week but the bark is already starting to loosen up so I hope by the time I'm ready to set up the tank(I'm remodeling my basement to make room LOL) it will all come off with the powerwasher, otherwise I may just pick up a cheap sand blaster.

As far as finding root balls I see them all the time while walking along river and large creek shores Where the water washes them out during heavy rain its just that most are too big to fit in a fish tank this is the first time I bought a tank too fit a piece of deco. haha I just hope my wife lets me sleep in the bed soon my back is killing me LOL
Fern
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.05.30(Sun)23:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can add some very hot or boiling water to it it will help it along, and pick off any loose bark with every change of the soaking water.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: