Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Can I Sustain Loaches and Corys in a 55 Gallon
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates  Reply to topic   Post new topic
yooki42
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.05.23(Sun)17:19    Post subject: Can I Sustain Loaches and Corys in a 55 Gallon Reply with quote

I have recently come into possession of a 55 gallon tank. I've been thinking about what to do with it for a while, and have decided that I'd really like to have some bottom dwellers in there. This will be a heavily planted tank with mostly small tetras and barbs populating the top of the tank. The bottom will have a medium-sized gravel substrate covering most of it with a barrier on one side where I will lay down sand for the bottom dwellers!

Here is a picture of what I've got so far so you can get an idea.

The sand will cover about 1/4 to 1/5 of the bottom of the tank and will have a nice big tree root decoration on top of a portion of it for hiding and playing in. I know the gravel level is too high, I will definitely take some out. The big hole is obviously where I will place the sand. I am working on a barrier made out of large rocks and epoxy right now to keep the two separated. I am hoping on keeping a little bit of gravel behind the tree trunk in order to plant some large plants. I want them to pretty much wallpaper the back of the tank. Do you think there will be enough room back there for their roots?

So here's my question: Do you think I could sustain both Clown Loaches and Corys in this tank? I really like both species and would love to see them together. However I do not want to suffocate or over crowd them. I also do not want them to fight over the territory of the sand bar / tree trunk! Currently I am thinking 3 Clown Loaches and 4 Corys, but if I can only pick one species then I will probably go with 5-6 Corys.

Any suggestions? [/img]
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.05.23(Sun)18:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tank is too small for clown loaches and they need larger groups anyway.

Personally I would take out all the gravel and replace with sand, plant vallis along the back edga and have a group of half a dozen cories.

You can add a scatter patch of gravel back if you like the effect.
DaleJr
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.05.24(Mon)0:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

diademhill wrote:
The tank is too small for clown loaches and they need larger groups anyway.

Personally I would take out all the gravel and replace with sand, plant vallis along the back edga and have a group of half a dozen cories.

You can add a scatter patch of gravel back if you like the effect.

Agreed, I really wanted Clowns as well as they are my fav fish. I myself have a 55 and yes they get pretty big. Sand is the only option for any loach.
yooki42
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.05.24(Mon)2:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick responses!
Okay, I have decided against Loaches for this tank. I may eventually get a 75 gallon which will be a better home for them. I do not want to replace the entire tank with sand because I prefer the look of gravel, and I want to spread a variety of plants throughout the entire tank. If nothing else I like what it looks like to have the space in the tank divided up a bit Smile

So if Loaches are out, do you think the Corys could still be happy this way? Or should I just abandon them all together?
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.05.24(Mon)3:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 75g tank is still too small for clown loachs, a 185g+ is the smallest I would keep clowns in. If you like loachs perhaps look into the other species of loach.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.06.11(Fri)12:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure that's a 55g tank? It looks smaller... could just be the picture. What are the dimensions?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.06.11(Fri)15:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a 30g to me...
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.06.14(Mon)0:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend to say loaches but which ones are the question...

I have a 55 as well and I have 1 Dojo, and 3 Kuhlis. Not ALL loaches get as big as the father of them all CLOWNS.

However SAND is a BIG part of keepiing Loaches.
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: