Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
29 gallon sulawesi
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.06.24(Thu)1:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends and how many you have, I prefer to have around 5 plants on my aquarium just because it doesn't look like to many.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.06.24(Thu)2:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caton wrote:
It all depends and how many you have, I prefer to have around 5 plants on my aquarium just because it doesn't look like to many.

So maybe 1 or two of these won't intrude very much? How often is pruning, meaning do they grow very fast. I love the look and the effects but I don't want to disturb my ground plants.
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.06.24(Thu)6:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

with just a few (I have a few on a ten gallon...not a 55g) I would say maybe once every 2 weeks? You don't really have to "prune" it, just reach your hand in and skim it off the surface, really easy.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.06.24(Thu)13:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caton wrote:
with just a few (I have a few on a ten gallon...not a 55g) I would say maybe once every 2 weeks? You don't really have to "prune" it, just reach your hand in and skim it off the surface, really easy.

Mine were like that for awhile.. and then they really took off and it seemed like they'd completely cover the top of my (55g) tank overnight, LOL. Clogged my filter intake.. stuck to the sides of my tank.... it was everywhere. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
Jacko
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2010.06.24(Thu)14:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, I think that used right they can be awesome in a tank, but otherwise they're devilish things... I gave away probably 2 or 3 cups to some locals today, I'm betting they'll be cursing me before long too Caton Razz

They don't really block much light in the sulawesi, but in the sulawesi lakes don't have too much in the way of plants and I want to try and keep it as similar as possible. Wink
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.06.24(Thu)14:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAKE IT BACK! TAKE IT BACK!
Moderators

PostPosted: 2010.10.30(Sat)6:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jacko how are the Cardinals and Tylos doing?

What does PFS stand for?

I am re-starting my 42 litres tank which was a swamp for a long time. It is to house Sulawesi Cardinals and Tylomelania Golden.
So far I bred 2 generations of Tylos Very Happy. Home bred and home grown Wink

The original wild cought died but their babies became big enough and now they are having babies Smile

Will move these from my 180 litees into this new one.

I wonder about your water GH and KH also pH if possible. Thanks.
In your experience are Cardinals easy to keep and breed?

Regards
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2010.10.30(Sat)13:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dusko...

I switched from a 29 to a 38, its not as pretty but it's a lot more productive.
PFS is Pool Filter Sand... I like acronyms Razz

Congrats, not too many people have even gotten to F2 yet, I've had some of my babies for 6 months now and they're just hitting about 4 cm now.

In my experience cardinals are a bit finicky but not too bad once they're established. I got 7, lost 5 of the original and was lucky enough that the last 2 ended up being a male and a female, now I have at least 4, maybe more (they hide a lot). One thing a lot of people make the mistake of is feeding vegetable matter... they'll eat it but they're more of a biofilm grazer and carnivore IME.
Baby Brine Shrimp, golden pearls, decapped brine and other fry foods are going to be your best friends in raising cardinals. Mine do pick a bit on the vegetable+calcium sticks I feed the tylos but they go crazy over a meat wafer or when I throw golden pearls in.

Not positive on water parameters right now, I really don't worry too much about it, water change about once a month if that. I'll check the parameters later tonight and post back tomorrow.
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Jump to: