Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Aquasoil and Corydoras?
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates  Reply to topic   Post new topic
BetaBerry
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.04.30(Fri)12:41    Post subject: Aquasoil and Corydoras? Reply with quote

I tried searching this a lot around the internet but didn't really come to a conclusion. Has anyone here had experience with ADA Aquasoil Amazonia and cories in a tank? I'm thinking about making a "sand bank" in an area of the tank, but I don't want the rest of the substrate to be bad for them.
deborah_claro
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.05.03(Mon)0:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
ADA Aquasoil Amazonia and cories in a tank
I can't find anything about that, either. I know a lot of cory people but can't find anyone who's used Aquasoil. Cory folks tend to use soft sand but some use other substrates, too.

Not to say you can't have a great planted tank, but Aquasoil and Corydoras might not be a good mix.
Quote:
I'm thinking about making a "sand bank" in an area of the tank
Aquasoil is soft, so that's good, and it's clay based. When disturbed, it can make a bit of a mess so planted tank folks do not disturb it. From what I know of it, I don't think the Aquasoil will be bad for corys but corys will not confine themselves to your sand area. They will get into the Aquasoil and disturb it.

If you keep corys in an Aquasoil tank, the likelihood of the substrate being disturbed is HIGH. Corys make an effort to search through any substrate you put them on, that is why is it so important to put them on a soft and easily moved substrate - such as fine soft sand with rounded particles of uniform size.

As a cory lover, I wouldn't mess with Aquasoil, but as a plant lover I would.

See this advanced discussion:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/substrate/27846-ada-aqua-soil-common-misconception.html
and draw your own conclusion.

Always keep in mind that planted tank folks love their plants, and plant growth and success comes first with them. As well, you may want to visit the AGA Aquascaping Contest website and note how very few prize-winning tanks, even the large ones, keep Corydoras catfish or any catfish for that matter - except the useful Otocinclus.
http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2009.cgi?&op=showcase&category=0&vol=2

Finally, this optional viewpoint may be interesting to you: Wink
http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=50464

HTH,
Smile
Deborah
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.05.03(Mon)1:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply!

I actually wouldn't have picked cories for my planted tank either, to say the truth. I'm aware that there are a few incompatibilities there... But I've had these cories for a while in my 10g, and I'd like to move them to a bigger home when I set up the 29g. They've been with me for a bit over a year now, so I'm trying to find a compromise for the plants and them.
keithkyli
Members

PostPosted: 2010.06.19(Sat)17:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not used Aquasoil before, but I have spent a month with similar soil.
My Corys' digging behavior simply disappeared. They seem to see the whole soil area as one piece.
That way, most of the uneaten food would not be discovered and cleared by the Corys.
Chemically speaking, that's a time bomb for disaster.
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: