Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
make a Co2 injector
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.05.02(Sun)4:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

One does not need to have it right above the aquarium, in fact I think it would be best to have it lower, so that it doesn't start a siphon! You can get at wal-mart 8ft of airline tubing for 5-8 bucks, and you can then hide it under your desk. Since 33oz is half of 1 liter it might be best to simply cut your normal recipe in half, but use just a little less. All you really need is yeast, and sugar and it does not matter other than the fact it might be to powerful and the bottle will explode or too weak to even reach the bottom of the tank.

It is also helpful to have the bubble's go in the current of a filter.

It is hard to use a c02 in a tank that has a HOB filter, most of the carbon dioxide escapes, thus rendering your reactor almost useless. Are you dosing ferts? Is your tank highly lit? It is all a balance and it may be that you have to many minerals and you have algae. Most plants require a balance to carry out photosyntheses
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.05.02(Sun)5:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I had the bottle below the tank and it started to fill the bottle with water! I put it above and nothing happened but getting bubbles. I have it right in the current. Low light for the big tank, but I do dose ferts, however, the kind of fertx I use only come in a tiny bottle! and is 9 dollars for it.
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.05.02(Sun)12:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use a anti-siphon valve, trust me, you don't want your yeast mix going into the water, I had this happen and had to tear down the tank. Luckily I had no live stock in the tank.

Last edited by Caton on 2010.05.02(Sun)14:04; edited 1 time in total
59FIFTY
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.05.02(Sun)12:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay.
elenazaaba
Members

PostPosted: 2010.05.29(Sat)23:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine cost about $7. Came with a canister that can last for up to 2 monhts. The gas can cost about $4 (which you have to replace every 2 months).

I have a homemade CO2 reactor too, which is easy to make but hmm I have to replace them every 7-8 days. So I don't know, I like both of my injectors, the store bought and the homemade. But of course the store bought one looks more fancy and tidy and all.

Caton wrote:
I would hook up a airstone to the bottom so that it makes it into smaller bubbles, or you can spend the 20$ and get a C02 diffuser.
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: