Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Heater installation and maintanence and use
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Infusion
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.04.23(Fri)11:56    Post subject: Heater installation and maintanence and use Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I have a few questions regarding heater installation, maintenance and use with my 260L (75G) African tank.

All my heaters appear to have condensation inside the glass capsule but I've continued using them for years in this state. I've read this could be potentially dangerous and heard many horror stories, so, in light of this, decided to purchase a jager 3606.

Within a few hours of installation, I notice the dreaded condensation inside the new heater. Now, my questions are;

1. Is there a correct method of installation? Do I have to leave the heater the tank for a period of time before I turn the power on? Can they be fully submerged? Should they be placed the only vertical?

2. If I wish to change the temperature, should I turn the heater off and remove it from the water before I rotate the dial? Or, can this is achieved fully submerged whilst the power is connected and on?

Thanks.

[Edited 3. Located article about heater calibration]
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.04.23(Fri)13:54    Post subject: Re: Heater installation and maintanence and use Reply with quote

Infusion wrote:
1. Is there a correct method of installation? Do I have to leave the heater the tank for a period of time before I turn the power on? Can they be fully submerged? Should they be placed the only vertical?

I submerge the heater and let it sit in there for about half an hour before plugging it in and turning it on. I would also probably not plop one in a tank that is at one extreme or the other on the temperature scale... I've read they can shatter if you put them in really cold or really hot water.

Infusion wrote:
2. If I wish to change the temperature, should I turn the heater off and remove it from the water before I rotate the dial? Or, can this is achieved fully submerged whilst the power is connected and on?

I've wondering about this before, myself, actually. I've never needed to adjust my water temperature, so I haven't had to worry about it. But I'm curious of the answer.
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.04.23(Fri)15:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always had condensation inside all of my heaters, still undecided on whether it is bad or not. I certainly have not concluded that any heater failures that I've had were due to the condensation inside.

1. As long as it's submerged enough, I don't think it matters. Vertical, horizontal, diagonal, whatever - I keep mine vertical since it makes it easier to conceal and I think funny diagonal lines always spoil the 'scape. Jagers should be able to be fully submerged, depends on the heater but I think most are fully submersible now. To be honest, I don't bother equilibrating heaters, but the instructions do say to do it.

2. If you want to be safe, turn the power off at least before reaching into the tank at all. I know I have adjusted heaters without turning them off or taking them out in the past but I have become a bit more wary now.

I think the most important points are to turn off the heater when reaching into the tank & if not submerged. I have gotten slightly singed before while touching a heater that is on & there is always the risk of hitting it, breaking it while fiddling around then getting electrocuted.
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: