Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Hillstream Loaches (project terminated)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Dusko
Moderators

PostPosted: 2010.05.20(Thu)5:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What are you doing to simulate a current.

I started with a Koralia pump used for nano marine tanks 900 l/h and a powerhead with filter at 450 l/h as you can see in those photos above.

The Koralia started making loud noise so I added another power head 350 l/h.
The current is not strong and is coming from two directions. These fish do not necesserily need very strong current but a modetreate one will suffice. The most important thing is the high levels of desolved Oxygen and I run the venturi non-stop. Also lower temps are important.

There is a guy on a swedish forum who breeds Sewellias in a tank with very little current Smile

Regards, Dusko
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.05.20(Thu)12:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dusko wrote:
Quote:
What are you doing to simulate a current.

There is a guy on a swedish forum who breeds Sewellias in a tank with very little current Smile

Regards, Dusko

I don't doubt it at all...You know sometimes you have to take SOME EXPERTS words with a grain of salt. Unless however the fish jumps out of the water and says "HEY I like a lower pH" and I don't think that is gonna happen anytime soon, LOL
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.05.20(Thu)13:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaleJr wrote:
Unless however the fish jumps out of the water and says "HEY I like a lower pH" and I don't think that is gonna happen anytime soon, LOL

I don't know..Unissuh was talking about anubias radiation..
Moderators

PostPosted: 2010.05.24(Mon)4:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two days ago I introduced 3 (tiny tiny tiny) Annamia normani loaches Very Happy they are adorable and are settling in nicely.

They are so small, tiny twigs. I will try an make a shot or video sometime soon.

The Sewellias are very agressive towards each other, but no harm done. I am not sure will I be getting more. Sometimes a few more might actualy fix the problem. Will see.
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.05.24(Mon)13:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great video! I saw that little bit of aggression there ... hope they can work it out, each one taking a flat rock for himself.

They look like a lot of fun, so far!
Very Happy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2010.05.26(Wed)22:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Deborah Very Happy

The agression is not that bad, but is existing. Thye do like their own peace of quiet (read rock).

I am sure I will stay with 5 Sewellia lineolata.

The 3 Annamia normani are not being agressive at all (so far), but they are very small now.

I introduced 29 Vietnamese Minnow Razz it should have been 30 but one of them was a Lampeye killi Rolling Eyes I will keep it there for now until I see what to do with it.
One of the carzy 29 Vietnamese Minnows Twisted Evil

So far everything looks good. The plants are getting covered in algae, must figure out some algae eaters soon.
I added a few more round pebbles to the set up and I planted Bacopa sp on the sides.

Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.05.27(Thu)12:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good, Dusko! Very Happy 5 Sewellia seems like the right number and I think if they are not getting hurt it might be interesting to watch how they interact with each other, even if aggressively. That's one of the reasons we get them after all - to see their various behaviors.Laughing

The Vietnamese minnows are very nice, and now we will all want some! I've never seen them for sale in the shops but Frank's Aquarium might be able to get them (he specializes in small fish.)

The A. normani are so sweet - like tiny plecos! They remind me of Hypancistrus babies. I hope they all continue to grow and thrive!

So, do you think you will keep the round rocks?
Very Happy

Deborah
Moderators

PostPosted: 2010.06.26(Sat)7:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bit of an update Smile

Here is how the tank looks at the moment;

As you see I replanted it a bit.

I also introduced a group of Yunnanilus cruciatus (hails from Vietnam) I think this is the smallest loach out there so far;

Summer temps are closing but the sewellias are doing extremely well.
As soon there is lots of O2 (venturi operating nonstop) everything will be fine.

Regards, Dusko
Moderators

PostPosted: 2010.11.03(Wed)23:31    Post subject: Project terminated :-( Reply with quote

Sorry to say but this project is terminated because my Loaches kept dieing one by one.
I wish I had a canister filter to run some Active Carbon and Zeolite in it but I didn't. I did water change every 2-3 weeks 25% but this seemed not to help. I am not sure what happened. I keep Sewellias in my show tank at work and they seem to be doing very well (showing some golden color actualy).
Same food same fertilisers ... Confused The tank (180L) at work gets WC every 3-4 month lesser than this one and this one had two pumps instead of one.

I am staying away from Loaches for now. I am reducing the ammount of rocks and replanting a bit. I will keep the Vietnamese Cardinals and the Pitbull Pleco + I added a few Chliton sp snails to cleane the rocks from algae (great algae eaters).
I already ordered an external filter Tetra Tec EX700 for this 112 litres tank which will house some more shrimps like Atya gabonensis, A. pillipes and very likely some other type of shrimp. So shrimp mostly.

Regards, Dusko
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.11.04(Thu)0:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man I hate to hear that, it was a very pretty tank. But don't get down about the Hillstream project, a lot of people attempt to keep these beauties in tanks and end just like yours.
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Jump to: