Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Fire fish
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Glen
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.04.17(Sat)7:40    Post subject: Fire fish Reply with quote

I have had 2 Firefish for about 3 years and they have always occupied a hole in my live rock, they come out about 8pm every night for some food and go back under there rock as soon as the lights go off, they are always together but they havent been out for 5 days, I've seen one pop his head out odd times but not come out, but tonight one came out had some food and disapeared back under the rocks straight away, could they have paired up and got eggs, do firefish behave this way and do firefish breed in captivity, or could one of them have died and the other one be staying with the dead one, do fish behave this way.
looking forward to your Ideas,
Glen,
Ps How do I get rid of Bristle Worms, I've tried a trap and didn't have any luck
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2010.04.17(Sat)11:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the latest info from MOFIBA (Marine Ornamental Fish & Invert Breeders Association), they have not been captive bred and there is not a lot of reliable data on any efforts to breed them; however it is still highly possible you have a mated pair and they have spawned.

Many marine hobbyists have repeated spawnings from various species in their tanks all the time, of course we know that successfully rearing the fry to adulthood is another matter, usually requiring a special growout system with lots of care and patience.

If you are unable to find one of them, my main concern would be a jumping scenario; why do I say this? Because Nemateleotris spp. have a real bad habit of ending up on the floor at night; in fact they are notorious for it in the industry.

As for bristleworms; you first need to identify the species, because some are considered to be bad (Pherecardia and Hermodice spp.) and others are actually considered to be benign or even good for your tank (Eurythoe group). I suggest doing an internet search on these types and see which photos match your worm, then come back and let me know.

Last edited by FloridaBoy on 2010.04.18(Sun)7:20; edited 2 times in total
Glen
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.04.18(Sun)5:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information about the firefish, if it had jumped out my wife would have found it with the vacum cleaner,been looking on the web and the fire fish in my tank look the same as the Pherecardia type, but I also have a worm thats grey, moves like a bristle worm but you can hardly see any bristles on it and these ones I've see going into the heads of my tubestreas after I've fed them and the lights have gone out, they are at least 4 inches long, I bought a Arrow Head Crab about 6 weeks ago to see if he would catch a few but the crabs 8 legs have been reduced to 3, he still gets about but not as he should do, don't know what is causing him to loose his legs.
Thanks again
Glen
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2010.04.18(Sun)7:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, sometimes pets eat the fish when they jump out; but let's hope that didn't happen. Hopefully, they have spawned and they are just busy guarding the eggs.

Some authors suggest the arrow crab is kinda like trading one problem for another. The crab may have lost those legs while it was attacking something that put up a fight. According to some experts, arrow crabs can be dangerous for your other livestock; some would even say the arrow crab is far worse for your tank than the bristleworm. Exclamation

Any way, if you feel the worm is a problem, I would keep trying to catch it with the traps; if that doesn't work then as a "last resort" you can try this...

See if you can figure out which rock the worm is hiding in and take the rock out of the tank. Set it in a shallow basin for an hour or so and observe it; the worms will usually start crawling around and poking out of the holes, at which point you can sometimes grab it with a pair of tweezers and gently pull it out (not always easy; they are fast). Make sure you keep the rock moist with a spray bottle filled with water from the tank during this process, so the rock doesn't dry out completely.

Now having said all that, let me add this; I have had both of these in my tanks before and in my personal experience I have never seen an arrow crab attack anything, and I have never seen a bristleworm attack anything; I'm not saying they won't, just speaking from my limited experience. Best wishes for your success.
Glen
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.04.19(Mon)7:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again thanks for your prompt and detailed advice, good news, one Firefish came out for some food then went back in the rock then shortly after the other one appeared for some food but didn't venture more than a few inches away from the rock ( I can tell the difference between them as one has a small mark on its side which has always been there) so both fish are fine.
I think I will let the Bristle Worms be for the time being as the only place I can put a trap is right near where my Regal Tang sleeps and I think it stressed him out a bit last time I put a trap in as he got a bit of white spot but it soon cleared up with no problems.
Thanks again
Glen
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2010.04.19(Mon)7:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you say white spot... yikes, white spot usually means cryptocaryon irritans, I would keep your eye on that; it rarely goes away on its own and usually "slumbers" in the substrate for a while and comes back worse than before. At any rate, very glad to hear about the firefish, and best wishes for your success...
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: