Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Fertilizer
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
elenazaaba
Members

PostPosted: 2010.05.24(Mon)21:47    Post subject: Fertilizer Reply with quote

I need to know what kind of fertilizer should I use for my planted tanks.

I went to the aquarium shop today, they sell trace elements like phosphorus, phosphate etc. I don't know which one to buy, seeing that there are a lot of them and they are quiet expensive. What kind of trace elements do I need to keep my plants healthy?
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.05.24(Mon)23:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any particular reason you are looking for a fertilizer? Are your plants developing yellow leaves, holes, wrinkles or other signs?

Some setups don't even need to be fertilized, if you give some details (e.g. tank size, types of plants and how many, stocking list), we might be able to give you some suggestions as to what the best fertilization route & product is. It's very hard to give a blanket statement to which product is best as some are for different situations.
elenazaaba
Members

PostPosted: 2010.05.24(Mon)23:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well actually I have 3 small tanks. One of my Java Fern plant (planted on a piece of driftwood) developed this weird disease, or something. I'm not sure what it is, some black spots and (I assume) baby Java Ferns started to appear on the surface of the leaves. It's not pretty at all, how do I stop that?

I want to use fertilizer to encourage the growth of my plants, that's all.

unissuh wrote:
Any particular reason you are looking for a fertilizer? Are your plants developing yellow leaves, holes, wrinkles or other signs?

Some setups don't even need to be fertilized, if you give some details (e.g. tank size, types of plants and how many, stocking list), we might be able to give you some suggestions as to what the best fertilization route & product is. It's very hard to give a blanket statement to which product is best as some are for different situations.
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.05.27(Thu)14:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you already have sufficient nutrients within your tanks, extra fertilization won't help is what I'm trying to say.

The java fern certainly sounds unhappy, what you are seeing is a typical sign of stress. May well be your lighting, not necessarily the lack of a fertilizer.

Like I said before, without knowing a few more details about your tank, I can only make wild guesses.
elenazaaba
Members

PostPosted: 2010.05.29(Sat)22:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, maybe it has something to do with the lighting, I've been told that my ferns started to bruise because the water's too warm. But anyway, I've already solved the warm-water problem by never turning off the ac in my room. The water's not that warm after all, it's around 25/26degrees celsius.

BTW this is how the tank looks like :

unissuh wrote:
If you already have sufficient nutrients within your tanks, extra fertilization won't help is what I'm trying to say.

The java fern certainly sounds unhappy, what you are seeing is a typical sign of stress. May well be your lighting, not necessarily the lack of a fertilizer.

Like I said before, without knowing a few more details about your tank, I can only make wild guesses.
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.05.29(Sat)22:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the wattage of your light?

I won't comment on the stocking aside from saying that with that many fish & the types of plants you have, I'm pretty certain you don't need to fertilize.

PS: Get rid of that plant on the right, it's not aquatic and will rot underwater.
elenazaaba
Members

PostPosted: 2010.05.29(Sat)23:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that's quiet a lot of fish, but I used to have one big goldfish in this tank (I removed it recently into another bigger tank), it was my mom who stock this tank for me.

Anyway, the light come with the tank, it's built in. Hmm it's abt 220-240v, 13W I think.

Are you sure its not aquatic? I see a lot of aquarium shops here selling this plants. They usually plant it on a piece of driftwood.

unissuh wrote:
What is the wattage of your light?

I won't comment on the stocking aside from saying that with that many fish & the types of plants you have, I'm pretty certain you don't need to fertilize.

PS: Get rid of that plant on the right, it's not aquatic and will rot underwater.
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.05.30(Sun)8:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, shouldn't need to fertilize much, I don't think thats your problem in that tank. At most, try a trace fertilizer like Seachem's Flourish at half dosage. If that doesn't fix it, it's definitely not a fertilization issue.

And yes, very sure it's not aquatic.
Darkblade48
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.05.30(Sun)12:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

elenazaaba wrote:
Are you sure its not aquatic? I see a lot of aquarium shops here selling this plants. They usually plant it on a piece of driftwood.

+1. Definitely not aquatic. Many pet stores sell it either a) knowing it is non-aquatic (which is bad), or b) not knowing it is non-aquatic (which is probably worse).
elenazaaba
Members

PostPosted: 2010.05.30(Sun)23:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have removed the plant from my tank and replaced it with a new red plant I bought just now. I hope this new plant is aquatic.

Darkblade48 wrote:
elenazaaba wrote:

+1. Definitely not aquatic. Many pet stores sell it either a) knowing it is non-aquatic (which is bad), or b) not knowing it is non-aquatic (which is probably worse).
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: