Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
One Mean Silver Dollar
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.04.13(Tue)3:10    Post subject: One Mean Silver Dollar Reply with quote

I had a school of six silver dollars. They are all in the 2-3 inch range. I stopped at a local store and they had a 4 inch Red Hook silver dollar in there. I have mixed silver dollar species before with no problems. So I brought him home. He immediately started to attack everything in the tank. Four days later every fish in the tank was hiding and he was out in the middle of the 150 gallon. I had enough so I moved him to the quarantine tank. I had never seen a silver dollar behave like that.

I was wondering if anybody else ever had this issue with red hooks. He targeted my Common silver dollars mainly, but he also went after my gourami's and my firemouth. Mouth open snapping and chasing.

Wondering if he needs redhooks to hang out with. If I could find 2 more. He is a beautiful fish. Just one mean sucker.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.04.13(Tue)5:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

He would need more like 5 or 6 red hooks to keep the others safe unless you just got a really mean one.
That is often why a singleton finds it's way to a store Exclamation
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.04.13(Tue)5:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had mixed schools of silver dollars before striped spotted red hook and common all together happy. This guys just ain;t happy with anybody its not just the silver dollars.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: