Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Baby Aquarium
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Reply to topic   Post new topic
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.06.14(Mon)8:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caton wrote:
Turface works well as a substrate, it may though be harder to plant in but is WAAY cheaper ($3-$5 for 55lb bag).

Turface? Where can I find that at?

Caton wrote:
I like crypt's but might get too big . Perhaps E. tenellus would look good as a carpet, Ludwigia repens would look good as a backround plant if you kept it trimmed, perhaps Sagittaria subulata in the corner and is think? Anubias is good like Ak dylpickels said.

Ahh... Thank you. I have read through unissuh's thread, but I was having problems figuring out which plants would get enormous, and which ones would stay at least semi-smallish. Or grow slowly enough that I can keep up with them. Wink

Caton wrote:
Tank looks a lot better! I love the betta and the algae covered snail!

Thanks! Its still rather... "blah", but its a better blah than it was this morning - ha ha.
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.06.14(Mon)8:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

diademhill wrote:
Gravel is fine for a low light tank.

I'm considering changing it more for looks, but maybe once I get plants in there, it'll look better.

diademhill wrote:
Crypts come in all sizes and the smaller ones would be worth a try. Anubias too come in tiny to large forms and Windelov java fern stays smaller than the standard variety.

Excellent. I'll look into these. Thank you.
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.06.14(Mon)9:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.turface.com/ Smile
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.06.14(Mon)10:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

peronally I love the look of red flourite, but due to cost, I mixed it with natural gravel. still looks great!

I like the new position of the wood.

as for the yellow water....it comes with time. I dealt with yellow water for months!! now I think its quite clear.
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.06.14(Mon)13:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caton wrote:
http://www.turface.com/ Smile

Ahaha. Of course. XD

katienaha wrote:
as for the yellow water....it comes with time. I dealt with yellow water for months!! now I think its quite clear.

I definitely should have boiled it longer! Smile But its OK -- I don't mind it nearly as much as I thought I would.

I've found a few plants online that I think I'll order this weekend.
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.09.26(Sun)2:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been a while Wink

So I have a couple of new pictures. Nothing exciting, though.

I was having issues getting into a couple of areas with my huge-normous siphon piece, so I did a bit of rearranging a couple of weeks ago. I put the wood more upright and moved it over, and then moved the heater to the back, next to the filter, like most people do it. Rolling Eyes Looks much better, I don't know why I ever put it on the side.

I also put some water sprite in to let it grow out a bit before adding it to the big tank. I was intending for it to just float, but the filter threw it into the fake plant, where it seems to be doing very well. Smile

I tied one piece of it to a rock. The original stuff is dying of, but new stuff is coming up.

I think the bright green algae all over the wood is green spot? I'm not sure, but it gives the tank a very natural feel. Laughing My snail is not doing his job! Very Happy

Full tank shot:

Its in desperate need of some algae wiping on the glass, and the thermometer needs reattached AGAIN, and I'm going to pull the water sprite from the fake plant and put it back to floating, but this is how it looks as of right now!

The betta seems quite happy, and she's very possibly one of my favorite fish. She was a good impulse buy. Wink She gets excited and swims in circles when I show her the food container, and if I stick my finger tips in the tank, she nips at them. I've noticed that her colors are constantly changing, and I've concluded that the stripes that appear are more of a mood swing than a stress signal.

I'm down to one mystery snail... The green one died a few months ago, and the white one died about six weeks ago. But the brown one is growing and growing, and getting quite large. He's also very active. I've been feeding him sinking algae wafers, and sometimes half a slice of cucumber.

The wood has also almost stopped browning the water. Its still a little bit yellow, but not nearly as bad as it was.

Since adding the sand to my big tank, I fell in love, and am really thinking about doing it in this tank, too. Well, actually... I'm thinking about upgrading to a ten gallon, switching the gravel to sand of some kind, planting it better, and adding some shrimp. Oh, and changing to a U2 filter. I'll be asking for a ten gallon tank for Christmas. Wink Then this tiny tank will go back to its original intention: quarantine tank. Smile
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.09.26(Sun)3:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

rales12 wrote:
The wood has also almost stopped browning the water. Its still a little bit yellow, but not nearly as bad as it was.

Bettas actually love tannin stained water. I actually actively seek it out in my betta tanks. As soon as a particular piece of driftwood stops leeching tannins, I replace it with a new one! Very Happy

Quote:
I'll be asking for a ten gallon tank for Christmas. Wink Then this tiny tank will go back to its original intention: quarantine tank. Smile

Check out your local CL... you can get smaller tanks for super good deals. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.09.26(Sun)3:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

A ten gallon tank? Pshh, thats one of the cheapest costing tanks you can buy. I got mine for $13 at wal-mart.

@Nick; I got some blackwater extract, does that work as well as driftwood? Is it harmful? I can send you some indian almond leaves if you want also, shoot me a PM if interested.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.09.26(Sun)4:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caton wrote:
@Nick; I got some blackwater extract, does that work as well as driftwood? Is it harmful? I can send you some indian almond leaves if you want also, shoot me a PM if interested.

Blackwater extract is fine. I actually have a good bunch of IAL, too. Smile Thanks, though!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.09.26(Sun)4:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay Smile

I was just worrying because I thought I did my research on it but then I forgot it...and then...yeah.... Thanks!
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Jump to: