Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Baby Aquarium
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.04.14(Wed)1:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won be needing to call to get the glass, I use picture frames.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.04.14(Wed)2:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really have any of those sitting around. XD
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.04.14(Wed)2:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saved around 10 bucks by going out and buying one that fits (mostly...) on my aquarium.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.04.17(Sat)12:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

The driftwood is turning my water yellow because I didn't soak it long enough... so I was doing a water change tonight and I had to readjust my wood because I knocked it over with the siphon... and I noticed when I touched it that it's turned all... slimy. I rubbed it with my finger and some whitish ... stuff ... floated up. Is this normal? I'll try to take a picture of it tomorrow, after the baby wakes up. If its not normal, what should I do about it? What is it?
shubapie
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.04.17(Sat)23:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's normal for driftwood, it's just fungus or something and it'll go away on its own. About bettas jumping out of tanks, YES they do jump. I had one in a 5 gallon tank with a lid and just a small hole where the filter was, and had to leave him for 4 days with no feeding - came back to find him on the floor, dried to a crisp - couldn't believe he went out that hole, but now I tape up the back of the tank so it's completely closed.
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.04.18(Sun)1:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, if its normal, I'll just leave it alone. Laughing It kinda grossed me out for a bit when I first touched it though... hehe

So if there's a hole in the top of the tank large enough for him to fit through, he could jump through it? I'll probably tape it off too, then. Better safe than sorry.

I think I finally found a light. Going to order that today.
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.04.18(Sun)3:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psh, turns out my husband had an 18" light fixture just sitting around that he finally "thought to mention" this morning when I told him I was going to order one. Rolling Eyes Some men! Anyways... Looks like I'll have to make it a more reflective casing thingy... can I do this with tinfoil? And I'll have to purchase a bulb for it... Right now it has a black light, which probably isn't the way to go. Laughing

I'm thinking that since its going to be 2" longer than the tank... I should go for a bit of a higher wattage to allow for the light that is going to "spill" out the end, right? I was going to try to find about 10 watts for it... I'm thinking now probably more like 15? Or should I go a bit higher?
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.04.18(Sun)11:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be a 15 watt bulb on it. One of the lights on my 10g and 29g have lights not made for aquarium use. Tinfoil is also what I use as a reflector. 2" off the end isn't bad and one of my lights does that. Good luck!
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.04.22(Thu)6:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a new bulb for the fixture... Its amazing what lighting does to it. =) I'll try to post another picture or two later, when the baby wakes up from his nap.

A couple of questions:

How long is going to take for the nasty mould/fungus/"white slimy stuff" to disappear from the driftwood? Do I need to wait for it to disappear before attaching java moss to the wood?

When I get ready to add some stock... should I add shrimp and then a betta, a betta and then shrimp, or add both at the same time? Or does it matter?

The light I got for it is fifteen watts. If all the light ended up in the tank, it would put me at 2.5WPG... but since I have a little spillover on either end and will probably lose some from the top too (considering not putting a reflector on)... am I still OK as a low light tank, or am I going to end up in more of medium light area?
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.04.22(Thu)9:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would probably go shrimp first, for no particular reason. Still run the risk of the betta eating them either way.

Slime will probably take a couple of weeks to go away, can scrape/siphon it off, that will help. Shrimp will probably eat this anyway, theres a reason for putting them in first. Laughing

By my reckoning, you're probably in medium light range but might be worth just trying a low light set up approach if thats what you'd prefer. Quick fix is just to raise the lights up a little for now, flourescent tubes are almost planar light sources so light intensity = 1/distance I.e. moving the lights double the distance from the tank cuts light intensity by half.
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Jump to: