Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Baby Aquarium
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Reply to topic   Post new topic
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.04.13(Tue)10:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll probably go with a betta then! And I'll just keep an eye out for the shrimp that are available in town.

Is there anything, besides a lot of hiding spots, that shrimp tend to enjoy?

What about bettas? I really only know that bettas like slow or no current and that you can't keep two males together.
59FIFTY
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.04.13(Tue)10:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well shrimp tend to climb on anything such as plants thermometers rocks wood and anything else from what I have learned. so make sure they have that. If you do want a baby bettas which you may or may not depending on your tank situation I would keep maybe just one or 2 females in a separate tank ( about 10 gallons ) .
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.04.13(Tue)10:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes... No. I don't think I'm ready to try to deal with baby fishes. LOL... Especially baby bettas. Don't you have to keep every baby male betta in a separate area where they can't get at each other? That sounds like a lot of planning ahead. Hehe.

Will shrimp climb up the thermometer chord and out of the tank? I'll try to keep the holes on top of the tank as tiny as possible, but there's probably going to be some gaps. Will shrimp climb out of a tank?
59FIFTY
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.04.13(Tue)11:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your thermometer has a cord on it? Do you mean the heater? I doubt that they will but you could always cover the gap with silicone.
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.04.13(Tue)11:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

59FIFTY wrote:
Your thermometer has a cord on it? Do you mean the heater? I doubt that they will but you could always cover the gap with silicone.

LOL yeah... I meant the heater. Blonde moment. But good idea.
59FIFTY
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.04.13(Tue)11:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay with this make sure you put your cord at the far back of the tank and not closer to the light. So if you take the hood off to clean the tank your cord won't be stuck in the hood. Do you understand this? becuase I am not good at describing things...
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.04.13(Tue)17:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

They shouldn't climb, ever seen a shrimp out of water? It's little legs are too weak to support itself. I've had a couple jump out of my open top cube before though, found them nice and crispy the next day. I don't tend to worry about it, 2/>1000 shrimp is a pretty low suicide rate.
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.04.13(Tue)22:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

unissuh wrote:
I don't tend to worry about it, 2/>1000 shrimp is a pretty low suicide rate.

LOL! Okay! I won't worry about it then.

I think my driftwood is done leeching, for the most part. It still discolors the water if I put it in boiling water, but last night I left it in just hot water (was too lazy to boil it up before going to bed, so it was only as hot as the tap allows... which isn't very) and it was still clear this morning. I'm assuming this means it won't discolor my water when the temperature is only 76˚-78˚?
katienaha
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.04.14(Wed)0:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

it may still.. but slowly. slow enouch to combat with water changes
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.04.14(Wed)1:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can handle that. Smile

I put it in the tank:

It takes up more of the tank than I thought it would... but I think it looks OK. I may flip it around a few times to see if there is a certain side that I like the look of more. It didn't occur to me how TINY that tank is until I put that wood in there. Laughing Oh wells.

Here's a full tank shot with the driftwood:

As I was trying to position the wood, I recalled that I have construction paper sitting in the back of a closet!Exclamation
So I hurry on in there, hoping that I can find two pieces of the same color... really hoping I can find some black. I have one piece of black, which is about three inches too small. So I had to go with blue instead. But I suppose that doesn't matter too much if I ever get around to doing the moss curtain that I have in mind.

Will a betta jump out of a tank without a lid? If not... then I really just need to find a light and then I can start adding plants! If so... then I'll have to call and get some glass cut. *lazy*
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Jump to: