Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Baby Aquarium
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Reply to topic   Post new topic
katienaha
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.04.12(Mon)14:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I boiled mine as long as I was patient. soo... a couple hours. just kept changing the water it was boiling in to see how much more I was going to get out of it.
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.04.12(Mon)14:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't really want yellow water. Rolling Eyes I think I can be patient another day or two. We'll see how the water looks in the morning, I guess.

Bettas won't pick on shrimp? I've read that they can kinda pick on snails a bit, not sure if its the same case with shrimps. What are the tropical freshwater shrimp options? Ghost shrimp, red cherry shrimp... those are really the only two I even know of. Laughing
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.04.12(Mon)15:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there are ghost shrimp and red cherry's. There are also red crystals (look really cool) and there are fan shrimp but those need a tank that has been set-up for a year. There is also amano shrimp. Bettas would pick on the baby shrimp (you should still get some babys) and only a little on the adults (just nipping, nothing too serious) however you might get a betta that likes shrimp Twisted Evil
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.04.12(Mon)15:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

you really don't want yellow water. I battled it for a couple months not knowing I should have soaked a huge piece of malaysian dw for a long time.. I couldnt boil it - too big.

I have what I think is a low-light tank, and the yellow water really cut the light near the bottom of the tank and it did not do my plants a favour at all.
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.04.13(Tue)1:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather not have any picking at all. Wink A pygmy gourami wouldn't pick on shrimp, would it?

The water that the wood was soaking in all night was really dark this morning. I changed it out. I suppose I'll force myself to be as patient as I need to be to keep from getting yellow water. I like the look of yellow water, but its just not what I want in this tank. Smile

Is there anything besides boiling that I should be doing to the driftwood?
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.04.13(Tue)5:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

So as I was staring at the tank earlier, I decided to stick with the smaller piece of driftwood... I think the big one will take up too much of the tank. But I kind of like the look of terra-cotta pots in the tank... if I can find some small ones at Walmart, is there anything special I need to do to it before putting it in the tank? I'd rinse it, obviously... but beyond that?
bozistheboss
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.04.13(Tue)8:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be inclined to presoak one for a little while in case poisons or fertilizers got on them since the ones I tend to buy are stacked up outside in the garden section. Otherwise, a good rinsing with hot water is probably all you need.
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.04.13(Tue)9:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mm... good idea, Boz. I probably wouldn't have thought of that at all, and with my luck, it would have turned out badly! Laughing
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.04.13(Tue)9:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

rales12 wrote:
Bettas won't pick on shrimp?

Depends on the betta. Unpredictable fish.

rales12 wrote:
What are the tropical freshwater shrimp options?

Lots. There are green and yellow variants of cherry shrimp, brown and black variants of crystal red shrimp, heaps of color variants of Sulawesi shrimp, blue color variants of others etc etc. I've probably missed a few as I don't follow the latest color variants because they are unavailable in Australia.

rales12 wrote:
A pygmy gourami wouldn't pick on shrimp, would it?

It very well might, gouramis like to pick at things in general. I'd say theres a higher chance a gourami would pick on shrimp than a betta.
59FIFTY
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.04.13(Tue)9:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my friends 10 gallon he has a betta and 2 ghost shrimp and they get along fine, well, the betta does chase them but only because there is only 1 fake plant in the tank and it is rather pitiful... but his shrimp are fast enough and have survived for over a week now. But then again, his betta may not be tempermental.
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Jump to: