Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Using Concrete Patio Block Underneath Stand
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
mustbekarma
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.04.11(Sun)5:08    Post subject: Using Concrete Patio Block Underneath Stand Reply with quote

I am setting up a 30 gallon aquarium and using a wrought iron stand. Even with some creative use of floor protectors (those little rubber cups you put under furniture legs to protect the floor) under the legs of the stand, I can't get the stand perfectly level. I thought about using concrete patio blocks (2" by 8" by 16"), one block under each set of legs. That way I could shim the patio blocks and get the stand perfectly level. It would also raise the height of the tank a bit, too.

My question is, would the concrete patio blocks hold up under the weight? I'm worried about the pressure points from the legs cracking the concrete patio blocks. I could still put a floor protector under each leg, too, if that would help alleviate the problem.

I want to do this for two reasons: 1) Level the tank better. 2) Distribute the weight over a larger surface area.

What do you think, and if this is a bad idea, what would you suggest as an alternative?
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.04.11(Sun)5:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are small metal discs that make good leveling shims if dropped inside the floor protectors - I know them as coins.
Concrete blocks would be OK but beware of lighter weight blocks.

How far out of level is the floor?
mustbekarma
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.04.11(Sun)8:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it currently stands, after filling the tank with water for a trial run and leak test, it's perfectly level horizontally, from side to side. From front to back, it's off level by an 1/8 of a bubble. It's not awful, but I'm aiming for perfect. If you remembered in one of my intro posts, I described the 55 gallon aquarium disaster. The center brace broke, and then I found out after resetting a new tank that it was way off level. I'm not surprised the tank brace broke.

I'd rather be safe than sorry. I was aiming for the bubble to be perfectly between the lines on the level.

I already placed one rubber floor protector inside a second one to raise the back legs higher. I could try a metal spacer or coin. Heck, I work at a vocational school, so getting any kind of metal scraps from the welding shop wouldn't be an issue.

The patio paving stones I got are two inches thick, and made for outdoor use.
katienaha
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.04.12(Mon)1:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

*cough* hockey pucks *cough*

*walks away whistling canadian anthem..*
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: