Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Illegal to ship certain snails across state lines
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.04.05(Mon)11:54    Post subject: Illegal to ship certain snails across state lines Reply with quote

Hi, I went to my LFS and ask to see if they had any mystery snails, and the lady there say: "No, we don't. They are illegal in the state of washington", now this got my thinking...I then googled, Mystery snails banned in washington. After searching for awhile I found this:

Quote:
I want to take a minute to talk about personal responsibility in the aquarium snail trade. Many of you have probably read of my recent troubles HERE. This was a direct result of an irresponsible hobbyist/breeder selling the wrong species. Many think it
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.04.05(Mon)12:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try doing a search for Pomacea bridgesii... 'mystery snail' can be a bit too inclusive. I guess there's a few different snails that are referred to as mystery snails.

That's interesting, though... I never really thought about the legality of certain snails in certain areas.[/I]
bozistheboss
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.04.05(Mon)15:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read your thread title and thought, "Oh thanks, Caton, now I'm gonna get in trouble for those Malaysians you sent me!"

Razz
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.04.06(Tue)2:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha Laughing the MTS are legal to ship.
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.04.06(Tue)9:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for anyone who didn't know, applesnail.net has some very good guides on how to ID the species of your apple snail as well as other good information.
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.04.06(Tue)9:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

unissuh wrote:
Just for anyone who didn't know, applesnail.net has some very good guides on how to ID the species of your apple snail as well as other good information.

Actually, that site is good for just about everything there is to know about apple snails Very Happy
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.04.06(Tue)9:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

unissuh wrote:

Yeah, that is a really good website.
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.04.06(Tue)11:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pressed for time, so can't type much, but believe it or not, there are laws in many states that ban the transportation of snails across state lines. You just don't here about them much. This has certainly popped up in some states' fishing regulations manuals (as well as trying to aid in the prevention of zebra mussels and other invasive fauna and flora).

I'll never forget the smell of sackfuls of apple snails in the bed of a truck - cooking in the South Georgia sun. You want to smell something bad? - That's it. They have seemed to find their ways into the warmer climates of the US and are becoming a potential threat.
Jacko
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2010.04.18(Sun)14:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caton, Mystery snails (Pomacea bridgesii) are completely legal in washington state, apple snails (Pomacea canaliculata) are illegal for sale in washington... your lfs should have a list of animals legal for sale in the state, ask them to check that for you...
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: