Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Planning a pond.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
UncleWillie
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.04.04(Sun)10:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez, where do you live where it is both -15 AND 110 F? If it has that many extremes, then the deeper the pond, the better. This will allow refuge from freeze in winter and heat in summer. However, you may want to create shallow areas (shelves) if you plan on adding aquatic or emergent plants. For this size pond, I say avoid concrete. A pond liner will be much cheaper and easier.

diademhill suggested the best bet for filtration. Use some sort of plastic drum or tank filled with media, and use a decent sized pump. There are plenty of designs floating around the web. Also look into bog filters.

Bluegill will do fine. However, you may have your hands full after spawning. You don't want to overcrowd the pond. Maybe you should consider stocking something you could sell.
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.04.04(Sun)13:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks UncleWillie! I live in eastern Washington... those are both max's where I live. -15*f only happens about 3 times at night in the winter, and same for the 110*f temp, however 100*f and -5*f is not too uncommon. I have a friend who has at least a 10,000g private pond, he said if I catch some blue-gill than he would love some!
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.04.05(Mon)5:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not too bad for temp fluctuations. Try -45C in the winter for a solid 2-4 weeks, twice during the winter, and up to +40C in the summer. And people up here have ponds...
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.04.05(Mon)5:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live an hour away from the coldest place ever recorded for Washington, and a hour away in the other direction from the hottest place recorded in Washington.

Still...That is pretty big Katie
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.04.12(Mon)7:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went out and measured, here it is:

81"x71"X60" (LxWxH)

That means around 1500g so I should aim for a filter that is rated to 3000g (double it). So I was looking for a filter and here is one I was thinking about:

http://www.pondliner.com/product/atlantic_bf1500_filterfalls/atlantic_water_gardens_filterfalls

Just wondering, how many goldfish could safely go in the pond? It will have a waterfall, mosses around it, lilies, duckweed (on part of it)
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.04.12(Mon)8:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

That doesn't seem such a good price when you add >$250 for a pump and c.$100 for a UV.

This is what we tend to use in the UK.
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/46467/Plumbing/Cold-Water-Loft-Tanks/42-Gallon-Loft-Tank-Kit-1185-x-503-x-503mm
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.04.12(Mon)8:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is a UV light needed? If so I guess I can go with this filter:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pond-filter-Biological-Large-PUMP-UV-Sterilizer-NEW_W0QQitemZ250608965512QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a59755788#ht_3622wt_1165

I don't think that filter you showed me is available in the US. How many goldfish can go in the pond with some (15) Mosquito Fish (Gambusia sp. aff. Affinis)?
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.04.12(Mon)8:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd prefer this one;-
http://cgi.ebay.com/4000-Gallon-Pressure-UV-sterilizer-Pond-Bio-Filter-Pump_W0QQitemZ180486718294QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2a05d8c356#ht_2377wt_1165

Are gambusia winter hardy in your area?
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.04.12(Mon)9:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear they are coldwater, if they are not winter hardy they can go in a rubbermaid tub with a filter in the winter.

So if I do that how many goldfish could I have? I am thinking around 15-20....
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.04.12(Mon)17:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go with ten goldfish. They will breed and it will be hard to find ten goldies of breeding quality unless you have a fish society.

Look at a tank of typical pet store goldfish. discount any with an wonkyness, than any with spine deformities or offset taisl. Then take out bent fin rays, then short fins on comets, thin fins on commons, wishy washy colours..............

You'll do well to find one in a hundred that is worth taking home to keep for 30 years.

Do you have a mozzie problem?
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Jump to: