Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
HOB Filter Intake Cover
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
bozistheboss
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.03.30(Tue)9:35    Post subject: HOB Filter Intake Cover Reply with quote

So I found a small filter rated for a 10g aquarium (and about 50 replacement filter media sleeves!) in a box of old aquarium supplies. It still works fine so I figured I'd install it on my 20g planted which already has a 20g-rated filter to increase its filtration power a bit.

I do not, however, have an extra filter sponge to put over the intake. Since I intend to add shrimp (eventually) to this tank, I want to make sure that it's baby-shrimp safe. Does anyone know how to cheaply make something that'll keep shrimp from getting sucked in?

I believe I read somewhere that pantyhose works fine. How would I go about attaching it to the intake so that it fits snugly and looks nice?
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.03.30(Tue)19:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rubber bands work to fix fabric around filter intakes.
katienaha
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.04.03(Sat)14:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

black pantyhose (for esthetic purposes!) and a black rubber band. trim the excess. just stretch it over. I keep an old toothbrush on hand to unclocg the pantyhose every couple days as it will eventually clog up.
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.04.03(Sat)14:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other option is to get a square "block" of sponge (kind of like the AquaClear sponges) and cut a hole in the middle, then slide it over the intake tube. If you cut the hole slightly smaller it should hold itself there. I have also seen people drill a few extra holes in the intake tube to improve water flow through different parts of the sponge.
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: